Nice day on the lake.

Paikea

Took my little boat out on Burrill Lake last weekend. Just a couple of hours, no fish other than a small Bream. Fished with Chicken gut laced with garlic, it looked good, just like Bloodworms and stayed well on the hook.

Unfortunately I missed the run up tide which seems to fish better on the lake and forgot to take any burley (usually chicken pellets). Moved a few times but no takers. Still, I had a great time on the water.

Following are some pics taken on my phone:

One of my favourite spots.

Looking the other way.

The Lake is a pretty place.

I always moor the boat across the current to enable fishing from the side of the boat rather than the back which is too small in a little boat.

The way that I do it is to drop the anchor and tie it off to the front cleat. then pull in about two boat lengths and tie a loop in the anchor rope. I then have another rope that has a SS caribiner on the end which is clipped into the loop in the anchor rope. I then pull the second rope back until the boat is sitting nice and square to the current and tie that rope off to the rear cleat. Works a treat. The following pics illustrate the clip and the two ropes.

Some random pics.

This little tacker fought way beyond his weight, on very light the line he cut through the water from side to side. Great to see, a game little bugger.

One thing that I did find is that without pliers it is almost impossible to get a small circle hook out of a fish without hurting it. Won't forget them next time!

By the way, for those new to the site if you click on each pic it will go to full screen. Much easier to see the details.

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

Guest Aussie007

nifty way of anchoring their Paikea do u ever pull anchor on windy days or get blown around swinging?

nifty way of anchoring their Paikea do u ever pull anchor on windy days or get blown around swinging?

No, never a problem.

I use the same system in my big boat to stop climbing through the hatch. Just tie a short rope off the bow cleat and have the other end fitted with a carabiner.

Let out the anchor and when you are set tie a loop in the anchor rope, connect the carabiner and hanging onto the anchor rope let it out until the boat is hanging off the short rope via the carabiner/loop leave slack in the end of the anchor rope and loosely tie it on a cleat or similar, When you want to go pull up the anchor rope which will bring the carabiner/loop within reach. Unclip the carabiner and undo the loop (or leave that until you get home) then just pull the anchor back in (or use a recovery float). I use a milk crate to store my anchor and rope inside the boat.

All a lot easier than climbing in and out a hatch.

Cheers

Paikea