Garfish As Bait

Grantm

Gday FR's

Picked up some garfish last weekend and decided to keep them as bait.

Fishing the Hawkusbury this weekend and looking for a few ideas as to what to do with them. What takes a Garfish ? Jew maybe ? How do you rig them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :biggrin2:

Most fish will take them. I like pillies better, but fresh gars are a great bait. rig them like you would a pilchard. If they are big ones, you can cut them in half. I think some bloke on this site landed a nice jew at Juno on a gar, can't remember who but.

Gday FR's

Picked up some garfish last weekend and decided to keep them as bait.

Fishing the Hawkusbury this weekend and looking for a few ideas as to what to do with them. What takes a Garfish ? Jew maybe ? How do you rig them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers  :biggrin2:

64970[/snapback]

G'day,

They are a good all round trolled bait, using gangs and rubberband over the needle. Lots of blokes use them instead of pillies, on the beach for tailor, off the rocks for kings. I've even heard of people using them as livies under a balloon. The outside folks troll them for spanish and spotties off Yamba in the autumn.

Matt

Guest bluecod

Grant,

Before there were block pillies, the humble sea garfish was the gun bait for tailor, kings, snapper and just about most other fish around. = Ganged hooks 4 X 4/0

bream also love them = garfish fillet on a 1/0 suicide

Edited by bluecod

Jews in the h'bury love em.. especially live. Fresh frozen is still a good second. Fish them at any known jew spot if they are around they won't resist. Burley hard for success ohterwise you are wasting your time.

rigged on a 6/0 circle hook with a 5/0 circle snelled with a half hitch to keep a straight presentation. Good Luck :thumbup:

gars are brilliant; my best ever snapper session was casting whole gars on gangs caught the night before into a bommie somewhere near Port Stephens; 4 kg snapper go hard on baitcasters in 4 metres of water!!! If ganging slip a centimetre or so of clear plastic tubing up the line before tying on the ganged hooks (something like the tubing from an aerator). When you've put the gar on the gangs slip the tube over the gar's bill and it helps keeps the bait nice and straight. Cheers and good luck Bombie

Split em down the middle, dip them in milk and egg and then dust with seasoned flour and a couple of minutes either side on the barbie,

Put on plate in front of me, :biggrin2:

As the Nock and Kirby bloke used to say "Where do you get em"

Edited by pogo