Coffs and Solitary Islands

Wambie

In a few weeks I am going to Coffs Harbour for a few days fishing. Never fished there before. Hope there will be a few snapper around. I have just ordered a chart for the area. I am aware there are no fish zones around the Solitary islands, is there anyway I can load something into by HDS5 to show these areas so I can avoid them? I did see a mobile phone app for I have a Samsung and I think it was only good for a Apple phone?

Any general advice about the area would be a help too. I saw the video of the boat ramp getting around a little while ago, hope they have sorted that out by now.

Thanks Tim

Hey Tim,

I holiday in coffs from time to time and have done a little bit of fishing there. Split solitary has bouys around it marking the santuary area.

As for spots, the best spot I know is a reef 300m east of the split. Anchor up, get a burley trail going and there's plenty of snapper there!

Good luck,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks scratchie, I was unaware they marked it with bouys. Looking forward to a few good days hopefully. Cheers Tim

Not sure about the rest if the sanctuary zone so grab a map. But that one there was definately marked last time I was there!

get the app if you can, i drifted into a sanctuary zone for a $500 fine one day. the app has audible alarms when your too close. the ramps all good as the council has hired a little dredge to move some sand, the ramp will continue to suffer from surge and this can be dangerous. i like to fish south sol (has the lighthouse) and i collect my livies from park beach bommie, should appear on your chart just north of the harbour. berley may be needed to get them at times. fish the eastern side of south sol, drifting with gulp 7" jerk shad on 1/2 oz 5/0 dose a lot of damage there. live bait is sure to get some attention. drive east from the lighthouse and look out for the fish trap floats, the were holding mahi mahi and going for the 7" jerk shad. Scratchie is right the reef in front of split is goon too and saves fuel. happy to help if you've got any more q's. what are you targeting??

kyle

Hey Adventureman, I only have a Samsung phone and the only app I found was for Iphones, is there a android one??? Or something for the GPS in the fish finder?

Thanks for the info, I hope to target a few snapper, but I am there for most of the week so will chase what ever is around in June. Glad to hear the ramp has been fixed up a bit. Got a old Haines 17C which has proven to be very good riding, so will wait for the chart to arrive and see what looks good.

Thanks for all the info.

id keep the map in your pocket and refer to it all the time. i don't know of any nav cards with the boundaries on them and the zones have changed twice since I've lived in the area. lots of reef for your snapper fishing in close around coffs, ill try to get you some up to date info closer to the time. on a side note here is a photo of a kingfish i caught on my honeymoon at lord howe island a fortnight ago. it was the first drop for the morning and many more followed. apologies for the hijack

kyle

post-31370-0-77637100-1401017129_thumb.jpg