Rust on trailer springs

mowie1

Had to replace the springs on the trailer last season.The new ones have started to get some surface rust .Have been told spray them with fish oil or vege cooking oil to keep rust at bay longer.Any thoughts :fishing1: . :gathering:.

yeah Gazza is on track but eventually they still rust Gal springs wash well and a good spray of oil or lanolin after every use they should last the life of the trailer or close to it.

keeping it up is the hard part!

yeah Gazza is on track but eventually they still rust Gal springs wash well and a good spray of oil or lanolin after every use they should last the life of the trailer or close to it.

keeping it up is the hard part!

Hello all, Yes gal springs are the go , but my opinion is I don't like lanolin or oils anything thick, Due to it picking up dust etc easier on the roads. What I do I spray on my whole trailer is wd40 , Why cause it is light gets in cracks easier were salt gets in and dissolves the salt. When you do this after a few times it gets a light film. And if you have to work on the trailer wax and grease and it comes off. People say INOX yes its good but more expensive.

I built my trailer 11 years ago and I just gave the trailer another full birthday. I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of all components which had been coated with lanolin spray a couple of times in that period. I didn't notice a build up of any dust or anything else on the lanolin which I found to have a hard outer skin.

Having actually tried it I would thoroughly recommend Lanolin or tectol ? as a protective coating.

Cheers

Marlin

• 1 month later...

I hit my springs with WD40 or RP7 after each dunking (even in the carpark at the boatramp - it takes less then 2min to run around with the boat off) and also after each fresh water wash down. Trailer built 2001 and still running on original springs which show minor surface rust after 13yrs of service.

On previous boats I tried, gal springs, bitumen coatings etc and had to replace springs every 2-3yrs. I picked up this practice of spraying a flexible oil coating from a 1970's boating magazine bought at a garage sale - the writer used to fill an old mortein fly sprayer (yes the manual pump type) with a mixture of kero and old sump oil to spray his trailer springs. Its worked for me.