Wollongong Beach Session

Tulz

Decided to hit one of the beaches in the gong this afternoon. Plan was to chase some Jewies with some fresh Mullet and Squid. With the high just before 6 I had my first bait soaking at 5. Right on dark my rod buckles over and after a short fight a Salmon of 60cm is on the sand. It never ceases to amaze me how hard they pull.

post-22681-0-78668000-1401014978_thumb.jpg

He was relased and another bait goes out. Upon bringing my bait in to check I feel a little extra weight and this bloke was clinging to my hook. It was the biggest sand crab? (can someone confirm) i'd seen. The photo doesn't do him justice.

post-22681-0-18652000-1401015233_thumb.jpg

I didn't land anything else after this. My remaning baits just got picked apart. Regardless it was a great arvo to be on the sand.

Salmon are always fun. I caught a 40cm one the other day that took a good 15-25m of line and that was on 20lb of drag. By comparison to the average slamon it was a true horse! Its back swimming now, so hopefully ill meet it again when its a 4kg fish.

Those bloody crabs are running rampant on the southern beaches at the moment. Almost impossible to use fillet baits!!!

Cheers

A mate of mine used to put a bit of cork just above the hook to keep his bait off the bottom. Claimed it stopped the crabs from picking his bait to pieces.

Never tried it myself but may be worth a go?

Cheers

Paikea