what fish is this(rock Cale)

tjgood

Question

14 answers to this question

rock cale.. it tastes BEAUTIFUL! (or so thats what you say to the mother in law when you serve it to her) :banana:

Rock Cale, also known as sea carp, wirrah or stinky groper. Hooray I was right :) and yeah, they taste about as good as their freshwater friends.

Guest no one

why do people keep killing fish that they don't know what they are? Could have either been protected or poisonous... luckily this one is neither but it just tastes like boiled arse.

I tried one once.

It taste like week and has a mountain of bones.

I tried it when I first started out and didnt know any better. Was told by the local you could eat them and I bet he had a giggle at my expense.

The bigger once give you hope that something worthwhile is on the other end.

Guest no one

And you asked the fish if it was dead did you??? mind your own business.

Or I will boil your ass

It's heads hanging off in the picture where it's throats been opened...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw some blokes from Scotland fishing from the rocks that I was heading out on a few weeks ago and they had one of those dead in a bag, they asked me what it was and I had no idea. I advised them against taking fish they didn't know home for a feed but they told me they would see how it went anyway. Now knowing what it is I have a feeling that it didn't go too well for them hehehe.

Looks a bit like what we used to call Butterfish in Victoria (or Morwong I think). Small mouth, rarely hooked, weed eaters. But obviously a different species. Butterfish are good eating.