snapper at spit bridge

guimaras

Good day fishraiders. This would be my first post here. I've been a member of this forum for quite some time now and have picked up a lot of information.

Went to spit bridge today to catch some squid to use as bait for our jewie session. Jigged for 2 hours and only caught one squid. It was about 6pm and high tide is gonna peak at 7:30 so I figured to try for some jewies since I brought my jewfish rod anyway. Pulled out the sabiki and small rod to get me some livebait. For some reason, the yellowtail wasn't there; which was odd because this place usually is full of them. Anyway, after an hour, I caught one about 30cm...too big as livebait for my taste. So pulled out the fillet knife and slapped on a good size fillet on the jewie rod, then cast it out.
5min after, reel went berserk.
It took out probably 100m before I got to my rod. I thought to myself, thats one really fast jewfish!
Fought with it for about 10min, giving line when it sprints, then reeling it in slowly. When I got it close to about 30m, the smart fish jammed itself in the rocky drop off! I knew that if I yanked it, ill just break the line so i let off some line, hoping the fish thinks hes out of trouble and swims away...after 10min, it started to move slowly. I let swim for a few metres then tried to reel it in. It had a good 10min rest so off it goes again! 5min later, it finally gave up so I landed it. My first thoughts were... WTF! A snapper landbased...and in Sydney! It weighed 3.1kg and at exactly 70cm...it broke my previous record of 2.5kg which was caught in QLD.

Edit: Finally added picture...was using my mobile before so there is no option to upload it.

post-33622-0-78513100-1402578804_thumb.jpg

Edited by guimaras

Are you serious a 70cm snapper in the harbour that's a catch t be very proud of I fished hours in the harbour and never even seen a fish of that size in the harbour let alone catch one even offshore that would be a great catch

I really want to see this photo so here's how

Press edit post at the bottom right corner of the post you just made then follow the photo and upload it

post-33466-0-15214300-1402578804_thumb.jpg

Anymore questions just ask

Cheers sydneyfisher12

sydneyfisher12, thanks for the directions... I was able to attach it using my laptop.

Check out photo...and don't mind the grin on my face...

Must be a lucky yakka then!...coz I used the other half of it and in 5min, caught a shovelnose.

Edited by guimaras

sydneyfisher12, thanks for the directions... I was able to attach it using my laptop.

Check out photo...and don't mind the grin on my face...

Must be a lucky yakka then!...coz I used the other half of it and in 5min, caught a shovelnose.

thats a monster the smile says it all

thats a monster the smile says it all

Cheers... I was surprised myself too. I would never have thought that a fish like that would venture somewhere close to the busy city...

Then again, the full moon does make the fishos crazy.

Awesome - sure beats the 1000's of small pinky cousins he must have that live in the harbour that we all end catching! Great job and I am sure s great feed [emoji2]

Thanks Rev,

I know what you mean. The spit bridge was full of them little pickers 3 weeks ago...I brought a kilo of pilchards for a fishing session and it was all gone in 2 hours.

Good timing also since the family is having a BBQ this coming weekend. :sun:

Wow cant believe it you lucky bugger, Wait till more people find out about this there goes the spit bridge. You should be given the fishing Victoria cross LOL. You should not have posted this [ LOL ] this will be talked about for years. GOOD ON YOU AGIAN CHAMP OR SHOULD I SAY THE SPIT BRIDGE SNAPPER GUY LOL..

Wow cant believe it you lucky bugger, Wait till more people find out about this there goes the spit bridge. You should be given the fishing Victoria cross LOL. You should not have posted this [ LOL ] this will be talked about for years. GOOD ON YOU AGIAN CHAMP OR SHOULD I SAY THE SPIT BRIDGE SNAPPER GUY LOL..

LOL! Maybe I should change my username then. I think this catch is just 100% luck. I fished the spit bridge for more than a dozen times and all I caught there are choppers, yakkas, undersized trevally, bream and squid...and rays.

Awesome catch mate! What a cracker and what a place to get it! Well played on letting him get himself out of the rocks! Smart fishin there! You'll never forget this one!

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers everyone. Ever since I started chasing jewies 2 months ago, I have caught three of my PB. 76cm salmon, 40cm bream...and this! All good bicatches...Ironically, I haven't caught a legal size jewie yet! LOL So the hunt continues...

Very nice Snapper there mate, reminds me of Melbourne, catching such big reds in close to the city, we used to catch them up in the Docklands in May, biggest was 60cm or so though, this is a real beast.

My previous PB was caught landbased also, at Redcliff, just north of brisbane... Heaps of snapper there, but they rarely venture in busy parts of the city.

I always thought they were the shy type but this fish proves otherwise.

Well done and they are there more than most people think. I caught one i think from memory at 70cm a few years ago on, like you, a yellowtail fillet but during the mid afternoon.

Someone told me around that time that had a friend who lived at Seaforth on a deep water prperty with a private jetty that they had a pet snapper estimated at about 7kg. They used to hand feed him over a few months then he moved on or was caught.

It was so good to eat, i ate the whole thing.

Mike