Daiwa Mag Seal

Sydneyfisher12

I just wanted to know what people thing of the mag seal daiwa put in some of there reels is it a really great feature or is it not really a helpful part of the reel

Also what are peoples favourite daiwa mag seal reel

I'm looking at getting one in the near future

Cheers sydneyfisher12

There good and bad. Great for protecting the reel from corrosion but since daiwa don't sell mag seal oil its very hard to service the reels yourself. Ive got a certate and a sol and love them both.

Got a Caldia 2500 a couple of weeks ago and love it. Only got a couple of squid so far, so have not given it a good test.

Wish it came with English instructions so I don`t wreck it.

I just wanted to know what people thing of the mag seal daiwa put in some of there reels is it a really great feature or is it not really a helpful part of the reel

Also what are peoples favourite daiwa mag seal reel

I'm looking at getting one in the near future

Cheers sydneyfisher1

I used to think that the Magseal was some hi tech complicated mechanism and I was afraid to pull my reels apart. Now that I have, its just made up of a simple magnet with a fluid between it and another metal.

I've pulled apart my Certate and I can tell you the fluid seals one area, but the plastic frame that holds the seals magnet (the grey plastic that says magsealed on it) is not sealed too well so water can still find its way under this and into the same area the magseal supposed to be protecting..

The mag seal makes it more difficult but water can still get in. Water can also enter these reels at the reverse switch and also under the bottom cap where it screws on.

I would much prefer an old type rubber seal instead of the fluid any day. This is what the Stella's and old Saltiga's used and worked well. It is much simpler and the tiny bit of added resistance from it would not be noticeable.

If anyone is interested, I have sourced some quality non Daiwa ferrofluid to refill the magseal and it has tested out good. So if you want to service your own reel there are other fluids you can use.

Oh and my favourite Magseal reel is currently the 2500 Certate and It's also my favourite reel overall. It has a metal type frame and quality gears that are strong, smooth and last.

Edited by Roylo

I looked at the sol recently, and didnt know about mag seal.

It was the air rotor, the new futuristic look that had me.

Like lures, rods and reels, they have to catch fishermen before they catch fish.

I'm sure you know what the competitors have to offer.

It certainly looks good.

Edited by Ryder

Yeah daiwa did mag seal, and shimano have their new spray that they use on the Stella and other top end reels. I mean I I like the idea of mag seal, but it also means it's a lot harder to service :( I'm sure blokes like Roylo or others can do it but I I like being able to strip stuff myself simply. Still love the look of the daiwa s. Was looking at the Sol as well Ryder and they do look swish :P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

looking at getting the TD SOL type 2 3000 or 4000

I have a 4000 sol II, great reel for the price above that you are paying lots more for not too many improvements in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corrosion prevention is a gimmick?

Of course it is.........look after your gear and corrossion isn't a problem.

Some of my reels, and the blokes I fish with, are Penn Spinfishers and Abu Gracia 7000's, all of which are over 30years old. There's no corrosion on any of them and the most we've had to do to any of them is replace a couple of burn't drag washers.

And all these reels cop a hiding. if you look after your gear properly corrossion isn't an issue.

And yet I see plenty of so called "sealed" reels with rusted and seized bearing, gears and drags which Im ask to repair If only the owners had carried out a little care and preventative maintainance

Edited by Crossfire63

I look after my gear, but I'm not going to scoff at a system that aids in preventing water and particulates from entering a reel.

I think I am in your camp here.

After a day bait fishing in particular, my rods and reels are covered in scales and slime and salt water. I tighten the drag up and wash the rods and reels with soapy water to remove the crud. Then I sit them aside while I wash the boat down and put my gear away.

I come back to the reels and dry them off completely, pull the drab knobs off and check to make sure there is no water inside. Every months or so I do a strip and lube.

However, do I ever miss one! Yes, sometimes I overlook something so its good to have the backstop of a good sealing system in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a few mag seal reels but my favourite so far is the sol 2 2500. Caught kings, Aussie salmon and bonito. We are talking over 30 salmon easy and atleast 5-6 kings up to 75cm and it still works like a dream. All I do is rinse the reels with soap and water and dry off and ready for the next outing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I thought that Magseal actually waterproofed the reel. I was wrong!! Accidentally dunked my caldia 3050PESH and had to pay 130 bux to fix it, I think it does protect the bearings and also makes the reel smoother as there is no friction from rubber seals.

The only truly fully mag sealed (waterproofed) reel they make at the moment is the new flagship 2014 Saltiga 5500H and 8000H Expedition, Alan hawk has said in a recent review that they are the best spinning reel ever produced, even better than the 08 Stella!

I have just sold a load of my gear that I don't use so I could buy one!!!!

Arrives Monday..... :banana:

Edited by ALI-G

I own a few mag seal reels but my favourite so far is the sol 2 2500. Caught kings, Aussie salmon and bonito. We are talking over 30 salmon easy and atleast 5-6 kings up to 75cm and it still works like a dream. All I do is rinse the reels with soap and water and dry off and ready for the next outing.

I think you should only rinse with fresh water, apparently the detergents or solvents like Marine lubricants can react with the magnetic oils?!

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should only rinse with fresh water, apparently the detergents or solvents like Marine lubricants can react with the magnetic oils?!

Aaah! I spray reel deal on my mag sealed reel. I wonder if it's bad for it.

Edited by Dave_

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think that the Magseal was some hi tech complicated mechanism and I was afraid to pull my reels apart. Now that I have, its just made up of a simple magnet with a fluid between it and another metal.

I've pulled apart my Certate and I can tell you the fluid seals one area, but the plastic frame that holds the seals magnet (the grey plastic that says magsealed on it) is not sealed too well so water can still find its way under this and into the same area the magseal supposed to be protecting..

The mag seal makes it more difficult but water can still get in. Water can also enter these reels at the reverse switch and also under the bottom cap where it screws on.

I would much prefer an old type rubber seal instead of the fluid any day. This is what the Stella's and old Saltiga's used and worked well. It is much simpler and the tiny bit of added resistance from it would not be noticeable.

If anyone is interested, I have sourced some quality non Daiwa ferrofluid to refill the magseal and it has tested out good. So if you want to service your own reel there are other fluids you can use.

Oh and my favourite Magseal reel is currently the 2500 Certate and It's also my favourite reel overall. It has a metal type frame and quality gears that are strong, smooth and last.

Good on you mate for sourcing some ferrofluid. Can you tell me where I can get some please?

Tried to send you a PM but not working.

exp2000@netspace.net.au

• 2 years later...
On 09/08/2014 at 6:07 AM, exp2000 said:

Good on you mate for sourcing some ferrofluid. Can you tell me where I can get some please?

Resurrecting an old thread because

I've got a Caldia that starting feeling a bit stiff the other day. Pulled it apart and, it's totally dry inside. I bought the reel before I had any idea what magseal entailed. I might have thought twice if I'd known, tho .. the reel has been great. It's survived multiple dunkings in fresh water, often in circumstances where it couldn't be properly dried out for days, and a lot of kayak induced saltwater exposure, all without anything other than a rinse when i got home.

Anyway, a quick search online throws up some helpful stuff and an Australian supplier of Ferro Tec APG L11, which sounds like a good substitute for Daiwa's oil.

Is there anyone here who's done this already? More info would  be great.

Edited by HenryR

• 1 month later...

Not one reply to my question but since this thread has so far had over 7,700 reads, I assume there is interest out there. So, for the inquisitive and the reckless and maybe even for the competent having a 1st look here's some pics and impressions from my dive in the Daiwa's magseal no-go zone.

I might be mistaken but, I did not seem complicated. That's a good thing.

I reckon the first thing to say is that magseal is not some magic substance that coats all the moving parts of the reel's interior. That is such an any easy impression to get from Daiwa promotionals that, not only did I have it but, the staff in my favourite tackle store, one of whom has watched Daiwa techs working on magseal reels also had that impression.

The reels guts are lubricated with good old oil and grease.

There's a couple of very helpful threads, with some much more expert commentary than I can offer, over at Alan Tani. They are recommended readying. From those and from what I saw, magseal happens only in two places in older Certates and Caldias.

#1. At the 'magnet assembly' on the outer end of the roller clutch housing.
#2. In the line roller bearing - I haven't looked in there yet

The magseal oil is more a sealant than a lubricant. It's some type of ferro fluid. Daiwa won't say exactly what. If you don't already know, ferro fluid is oil (the word fluid would suggest it doesn't have to be oil?) with little bits if metal suspended in it. The little bits of metal mean the liquid is attracted to magnets. A neat trick.

Ferro fluid wasn't  hard to get. I got mine from a speaker repair place in Qld. It doesn't cost much. There's a few people over at Alan Tani who say they've been using this particular fluid for a while and that it's worked fine. That's the recommendation I went on.

This is the ferro fluid I ended up getting.

packet.jpg

It comes in a little plastic sachet. Unless you own a lot of reels there's more fluid in the sachet than you're likely to use.

sachet.jpg

The flat plate is the 'magnet assembly', the main seal happens between it and the collar pictured
(Daiwa call call the collar a spacer)

theBits.jpg

a close up of the magnet bit. You can stick pins, paperclips, etc... to it :)

theMagnet.jpg

Woohoo! No clips or screws required. The magnet bit just hangs off the spacer/collar bit.

magnetism.jpg

There's a gap between the magnet and spacer/collar which, if left unfilled, would let water and salt and everything in.

theGap.jpg

This is the magnetic plate in place on the reel, gap still unfilled, with the 'main shaft', the bit the spool rides on, sticking out.

noFerroFluid.jpg

And this is it. Magseal. The same scene as above but with the gap filled with ferro fluid. If you read up online you might get the impression that putting the fluid in place can be tricky. It's not. You just cut a little bit off the top of the ferro fluid sachet and squeeze a little fluid into the gap until it seems full.

ferroFluid.jpg

As mentioned, the sachet comes with more than enough ferro fluid to have a few goes on a few reels. Get anything wrong and you can wipe the ferro flud off, fix what you got wrong and reassemble with no fear of running out of fluid.

I've been inside two reels and in the process had to do an extra disassemble-reassemble because I managed to put the collar/spacer in upside down, and also because I let the stopper lever slip off it's notch while reassembling, In addition to that I did a few put it together pull it apart explores. Even after all that there's still tons of fluid in the sachet I bought.

To give a little more context. A little deeper in the reel here, under the roller clutch housing.
These pics are a Certate not Caldia but they very much the same at this point.

aLittleDeeper.jpg

Plate and spacer/collar, roller clutch housing (it's part of the outside of the reel), and, at the bottom with some green plastic showing, the roller clutch which sits around the shaft and inside the housing.

bits.jpg

Youtube clip of maseal fluid in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYgakH4LZ30

And here, a ripper teardown clip for 2011 Caldia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWphPQjNnRM

------

Anyone wanting to know more: do do some online searching, there's better commentary on this topic out there than I can offer and, you're also welcome to pm me, I'm more than happy to chat about what it was like.

Edited by HenryR
  • Thanks 1