opinions on new casting decks

top breamer

go to a local joinery shop mate and get some sheet ply off them. It doesnt cost a lot - I would have thought this was the cheapest solution ie ply and carpet. You could also get marine ply though it costs a little more.

Guest Aussie007

dont waste your hard earnt $ on marine ply its way over priced and cost a friggen fortune the imported stuff is half the price but up to you

what im using on my plywood boat is meranti B/C grade ply it has WBP glue ive left this stuff out in the rain for months now and not one piece has swollen

meranti plywood comes in standard plywood or marine ply u use the non structural stuff, two coast of resin and nothing will penetrate it

check out the picture below this sat in 10 days of continuous rain in sydney before i took the pic

post-3154-0-61284100-1403941374_thumb.jpg

dont waste your hard earnt $ on marine ply its way over priced and cost a friggen fortune the imported stuff is half the price but up to you

what im using on my plywood boat is meranti B/C grade ply it has WBP glue ive left this stuff out in the rain for months now and not one piece has swollen

meranti plywood comes in standard plywood or marine ply u use the non structural stuff, two coast of resin and nothing will penetrate it

check out the picture below this sat in 10 days of continuous rain in sydney before i took the pic

Thanks for that Gazza, I am making some under seat storage drawers for my little boat and was going to buy marine ply. Will switch to Meranti now.

Cheers

Paikea

The only advantage of the good imported gaboon marine ply is that it's around 40% lighter.This is significant if you're building a kayak or small boat but generally,as Gazza says,it is overkill on larger craft.The same glueline,just be sure to seal it well,particularly the endgrain;you have to do the same with marine ply to avoid future problems.