Sydney Harbour Friday 20th June

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Went out for my regular Friday Sydney Harbour fish today.

Went to Rose Bay for yakkas at about 4am but the norwester made it unpleasant so I headed over to clifton gardens to get out of the wind.
It was alive with yakkas of a good live bait size and with very little burley I had a dozen or so in the tank in as many minutes. There were a lot of gars around as well and I toyed with the idea of catching some but opted to chase some squid instead.... not that I caught any but I like to try places I haven't tried before.

The water had a lot of fluorescence to it which didn't seem to impact the fishing inspite of what my old man used to say.
Water temperature was 19 degrees

On first light I headed over to the north side of the harbour and anchored up at the headland near the quarantine station.
I set out a squid bait on 20kg braid and live yakka on another 20kg braid and to keep busy I tossed a lightly weighted half pilchard over the side on a 3kg rig.

The tide was still running out and for the next few hours I caught pike, bream, trevally, a shovel nosed ray, an octopus, a red rock cod and some big salmon. The salmon took the squid and the live yakka rig but bust me off on the lighter gear.

Ended up with half a dozen of these that all went back.

post-32937-0-92876600-1403253528_thumb.jpg

About 10 am I had a run on a squid bait that looked like a descent fish. I leant back and set the hook and it took off it a steady powerful run. I was hoping it was a big Jewie but I am thinking it was a  big ray or shark. I tightened the drag on it to try and slow it down but I pulled the hooks. Didn't worry too much about losing it but still, I would have like to see what it was to know for sure.

Was a good day.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Nice report!

I was out this arvo, caught a few Salmon just inside the lighthouse on south head and then headed out trolling two skirts, loads of gannets about but they were shallow diving (at a shallow angle?) and not that frequently, whatever they were feeding on must have been small and right on the surface. There were also loads of gannets and some massive albatross sat down around 3k off the heads.

Was hoping to hook a tuna, saw lots of activity including about ten whales, it almost glassed out at one point, a really magic afternoon.

Will be out at first light tomorrow!!! fingers crossed will be posting a pic or two!! point 7 m swell and light winds!!!

Tight lines

Nice haul. A real smorgasbord.

There were heaps of baitfish around Balmoral wharf Thursday arvo. Same ,no surface action.

Today at Drummoyne there were a few bust ups near the ramp. I saw a lot of 2-3 inch herring.

Nice to hear squid are around, I need some tomorrow .

Nice report!

I was out this arvo, caught a few Salmon just inside the lighthouse on south head and then headed out trolling two skirts, loads of gannets about but they were shallow diving (at a shallow angle?) and not that frequently, whatever they were feeding on must have been small and right on the surface. There were also loads of gannets and some massive albatross sat down around 3k off the heads.

Was hoping to hook a tuna, saw lots of activity including about ten whales, it almost glassed out at one point, a really magic afternoon.

Will be out at first light tomorrow!!! fingers crossed will be posting a pic or two!! point 7 m swell and light winds!!!

Tight lines

Sounds cool...

Probably saw you around without knowing.

I left the harbour at about 3pm after seeing a few boats head outside earlier.

Cheers

Jim