My First Report - My First Jewfish - Georges River

Jimbu

Hi Guys,

This is my virgin report on here, soooo here goes...

Lately I've been fishing a spot a few minutes drive from my house on the Georges River. It's a short walk along a bush track down to a shady area of mangroves. I've been mainly fishing unweigted bread on small hooks with mixed results, catching bream, blackfish and mullet, some plate sized and some juveniles.

The other morning, I caught some decent sized mullet and heard a guy on a kayak let out a scream of delight. I overheard a convo he had with a guy on a boat, and he had bagged a decent jewie.

Given this glimmer of hope, I decided to bring an extra rod this morning and give it a crack with freshly caught strips of mullet. I arrived at the spot at a bit before 7am and began to set up on my low rock platform amidst the mangroves, with the tide running out at a rapid rate. I placed a frozen mullet caught a few days back in a bucket of water to defrost and cast my light rod with unweighted bread a few metres from my feet. I could see regular silver flashes, indicating the mullet were about in large numbers, however I wasn't able to hook onto one. All I managed were a couple of undersized bream.

After 15 minutes, I decided it was time to throw some mullet out on my 10ft rock combo. I took a healthy strip about 3cm x 8cm and hooked it once through the top with a 1/0 circle hook. There was a ~1cm diameter ball sinker running free to my hook and I lobbed the bait as far as I could, let it sink down, set the drag ultra light and placed the rod in the rod holder of my $20 fishing stool.

Back to my light combo and the throwback bream and blackfish.

I glanced at my other rod occasionally, noticing small nibbles, but nothing substantial. 15 minutes later, the rod tipped and almost came flying out of its holder and the reel began to scream. I grabbed it and began to add pressure to the spool with the palm of my hand, and fish hooked, I began to tighten the drag up while the fish screamed off. My excitement grew, as I tried to guess at what it could be. There we no tell-tale flathead headshakes. Soon it began to slow, and after a few more short runs and some heavy steering away from nearby rocks, I had an exhausted jewfish at my feet and into the net.

She measured 65cm, so after a few quick snaps on the phone, I took off my shoes and socks, slipped barefoot around the mangroves dodging oysters, and lowered her gently into the shallows where she glided off to find the rest of her school.

My first jew!

Friends and family said I should have kept it, but after seeing such a beautiful fish swim away like that, I know I did the right thing.

post-34038-0-51516000-1403318958_thumb.jpeg

post-34038-0-37562100-1403318966_thumb.jpeg

post-34038-0-40037600-1403318970_thumb.jpeg

Awesome man! Great first report and an epic catch! Just got my first last week and it's a wicked feeling :) well played matching the hatch on the mullet. What line weight were you on?

Keep em coming :)

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Good stuff mate! Some of my favorite posts to read are of people discovering a new spot or catching a first of species after putting some effort into it. Great story

Thank for the kind words, guys!

Witha - caught it with a 10ft 6-12kg rod with 12lb braid and 20lb flouro leader. I'm wondering how my 7ft 1-3kg setup would have handled the same fish...

Hi Guys,

This is my virgin report on here, soooo here goes...

Lately I've been fishing a spot a few minutes drive from my house on the Georges River. It's a short walk along a bush track down to a shady area of mangroves. I've been mainly fishing unweigted bread on small hooks with mixed results, catching bream, blackfish and mullet, some plate sized and some juveniles.

The other morning, I caught some decent sized mullet and heard a guy on a kayak let out a scream of delight. I overheard a convo he had with a guy on a boat, and he had bagged a decent jewie.

Given this glimmer of hope, I decided to bring an extra rod this morning and give it a crack with freshly caught strips of mullet. I arrived at the spot at a bit before 7am and began to set up on my low rock platform amidst the mangroves, with the tide running out at a rapid rate. I placed a frozen mullet caught a few days back in a bucket of water to defrost and cast my light rod with unweighted bread a few metres from my feet. I could see regular silver flashes, indicating the mullet were about in large numbers, however I wasn't able to hook onto one. All I managed were a couple of undersized bream.

After 15 minutes, I decided it was time to throw some mullet out on my 10ft rock combo. I took a healthy strip about 3cm x 8cm and hooked it once through the top with a 1/0 circle hook. There was a ~1cm diameter ball sinker running free to my hook and I lobbed the bait as far as I could, let it sink down, set the drag ultra light and placed the rod in the rod holder of my $20 fishing stool.

Back to my light combo and the throwback bream and blackfish.

I glanced at my other rod occasionally, noticing small nibbles, but nothing substantial. 15 minutes later, the rod tipped and almost came flying out of its holder and the reel began to scream. I grabbed it and began to add pressure to the spool with the palm of my hand, and fish hooked, I began to tighten the drag up while the fish screamed off. My excitement grew, as I tried to guess at what it could be. There we no tell-tale flathead headshakes. Soon it began to slow, and after a few more short runs and some heavy steering away from nearby rocks, I had an exhausted jewfish at my feet and into the net.

She measured 65cm, so after a few quick snaps on the phone, I took off my shoes and socks, slipped barefoot around the mangroves dodging oysters, and lowered her gently into the shallows where she glided off to find the rest of her school.

My first jew!

Friends and family said I should have kept it, but after seeing such a beautiful fish swim away like that, I know I did the right thing.

well done on your first jew mate, and well done releasing it. There is something about releasing jews, especially larger jews, that always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

Thanks!

Just an update: had another try this morning before the wind picked up... Was mostly quiet with no bites on my light unweighted bread setup.

My heavier setup - Once again I had my drag set super light so there was almost no resistance.

Had a few light taps on my line which I assumed to be picker fish... Then Bzzzz as a fish picked up the thick mullet strip and ran... Almost as quick as it did, it must have felt the vibrations of the drag, as it let go. A short pause then the same thing happened again ... And again. I flicked the bail arm open and waited... Sure enough, line began to peel off rapidly and didn't stop. I counted past 5 seconds, flicked the bail arm closed and applied some pressure on the reel.

I'm on! Felt like a similar sized fish to the other day. I hurried to tighten my drag up to slow it down, in a bit of a panic. After a short fight, the fish seemed to be staying deep, then my line went tight like it was snagged up and ... pop. Braid snapped above my swivel. I'm thinking he wrapped me around something on the bottom!

I re-rigged as quick as possible, but there was nothing to report after that.

Disappointing not to land it but a bit of excitement and some more experience and lessons learned.

Thanks!

Just an update: had another try this morning before the wind picked up... Was mostly quiet with no bites on my light unweighted bread setup.

My heavier setup - Once again I had my drag set super light so there was almost no resistance.

Had a few light taps on my line which I assumed to be picker fish... Then Bzzzz as a fish picked up the thick mullet strip and ran... Almost as quick as it did, it must have felt the vibrations of the drag, as it let go. A short pause then the same thing happened again ... And again. I flicked the bail arm open and waited... Sure enough, line began to peel off rapidly and didn't stop. I counted past 5 seconds, flicked the bail arm closed and applied some pressure on the reel.

I'm on! Felt like a similar sized fish to the other day. I hurried to tighten my drag up to slow it down, in a bit of a panic. After a short fight, the fish seemed to be staying deep, then my line went tight like it was snagged up and ... pop. Braid snapped above my swivel. I'm thinking he wrapped me around something on the bottom!

I re-rigged as quick as possible, but there was nothing to report after that.

Disappointing not to land it but a bit of excitement and some more experience and lessons learned.

bad luck mate im sure you will be back you have a great spot there

im pretty sure that was a jew a ray wouldn't wrap around something and bust you off

good luck

cheers sydneyfisher12

That sounds epic! Very nicely written first report man! Well done on the jews, not everyone can claim jews from the land, top stuff ;) From my experience, keep hammering them as much as you can, (of course I recommend catch release) cause these things never last, beginners often take things for granted when they find a "new" spot that seems to hold a lot, it doesn't last, never. It's only the sum of a equation composed of many naturals phenomena all there at the "right" time. The good thing in the story is that if it happened once, it will happen again, jewies are creature of habits ! Don't waste your time reading our bullshit comments get your rods and go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol ;)

Thanks for the wise and kind words, guys! T.C, I'll have to keep at it then... need to catch some more mullet first. I'm also a big fan of catch release, the satisfaction rivals that of keeping a good fish, I believe. There's a fair few fillets in the freezer at the moment, so if I manage another, it'll be swimming away.

I'm hooked. I had another go ... no jewie, but a PB 35cm bream which took a lot of coaxing to finally get her on. I kept gently feeding her line as she gnawed through most of my generous mullet strip... eventually she swallowed the skin that was left, fatal mistake!