Dura hubs.

Fab1

Just a quick one, what are your thoughts on dura hubs on your boat trailers?

I have them fitted on our horse floats running grease and oil and to date haven,t had any dramas with oil leaks, falling off etc.

I couldn't praise them more.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Personally I do not like them.

Bearing that I previously was a mechanic, and for a couple of years at least, serviced more wheel bearings than I care to remember. Basically the grease you force in through the bearing cages, is what lubes them, pronto, end.

If you push to much grease in through the dura hubs, you punch the rear seal, or open it.

Boat trailer, my take, the best marine grease you can afford. Replace the bearings every year (I'm with you on that) don't wash them, don't inspect them, punch out the cones and replace them.

Grease the bearings correctly, get that goop in the palm of your hand and force it through the cages, smear a little grease around the inside of the hub between the inner and outer bearing. Don't fool yourself with this, experience shows me this is more to make you feel like you've done something, centrifugal force just keeps it in that cavity, it doesn't flow to the bearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just looked it up, its very interesting. It's almost like bearing buddies except it uses oil.

After lots of recommendations to use bearing buddies... all it has given me is grief and dramas, don't recommend them. As Ian mentions above, you can easily punch the rear seal, even if the grease has NOT come out of the hole that indicates it is full... engineering at its worst.

If you use dura hubs for a boat trailer, wouldn't the water entering the hub be misleading on the glass gauge?

Just looked it up, its very interesting. It's almost like bearing buddies except it uses oil.

After lots of recommendations to use bearing buddies... all it has given me is grief and dramas, don't recommend them. As Ian mentions above, you can easily punch the rear seal, even if the grease has NOT come out of the hole that indicates it is full... engineering at its worst.

If you use dura hubs for a boat trailer, wouldn't the water entering the hub be misleading on the glass gauge?

Grease emulsifys when mixed with water when you get water intrusion into your bearings.

Oil filled hubs like durahubs you can see water in them through the sight glass floating above the oil as water and oil dont mix.

It amazes me people who pump grease into there bearing buddies every now and then what there reasoning behind it is.

Where do they think the grease that was in there went?

Dura Hubs are oil filled I have a set and love them, glass window at the front you and see if the level is low or contaminated. Easy to fit and fill, youtube has a video on fitting them.

Big-Pete

Please enlighten us how to use bearing buddies...

put it this way, there,s no need to pump grease into them after they have been fitted.

If your pumping grease into them once fitted, your grease is going somewhere yeah, usually strait out through the back seal.

It amazes me people who pump grease into there bearing buddies every now and then what there reasoning behind it is.

Where do they think the grease that was in there went?

I only know from what I've seen with my own experience with bearing buddies. I pump the grease in there every few trips and the old stuff comes out the rear seal. There is no doubt that the new grease is getting inside the bearings as I've inspected them after greasing and going for a quick drive. I don't care that it blows out the seal as long as there is new grease inside. I know its not a perfect system and there will still be traces of saltwater inside but there is enough good grease to keep the bearings in good shape and last. Well mine have.

I also think that any system will still get water inside it eventually anyway, and if blowing out the seal with bearing buddies is a problem and if you think other systems are completely sealed up why change the bearings every year then? They should last for a lifetime if no water gets inside considering how long car and truck bearings last and the km's they travel compared to the average boat trailer.

If the killer of boat trailer bearings is rust and pitting, then if a guy inspects his bearings and they look fine and no rust even if they are years old I don't see why he needs to spend money and change them for?

Just my views anyway :sun:

Everyone has there own choice to what they want to run but I have proven to myself that if treated right bearings can last a long time.

I only know from what I've seen with my own experience with bearing buddies. I pump the grease in there every few trips and the old stuff comes out the rear seal. There is no doubt that the new grease is getting inside the bearings as I've inspected them after greasing and going for a quick drive. I don't care that it blows out the seal as long as there is new grease inside. I know its not a perfect system and there will still be traces of saltwater inside but there is enough good grease to keep the bearings in good shape and last. Well mine have.

I also think that any system will still get water inside it eventually anyway, and if blowing out the seal with bearing buddies is a problem and if you think other systems are completely sealed up why change the bearings every year then? They should last for a lifetime if no water gets inside considering how long car and truck bearings last and the km's they travel compared to the average boat trailer.

If the killer of boat trailer bearings is rust and pitting, then if a guy inspects his bearings and they look fine and no rust even if they are years old I don't see why he needs to spend money and change them for?

Just my views anyway :sun:

Everyone has there own choice to what they want to run but I have proven to myself that if treated right bearings can last a long time.

Most wheel bearing failures are from owners over greasing and breaking the integrity of the rear bearing seal allowing road grime to enter the bearing and scoring the ball bearings themselves or the spindle.When a bearing is hand packed with grease, and assembled correctly, and the seals are tight, there is no reason at all to be pumping grease into the bearing more than once a year, if that. Especially if you have any sort of bearing buddies on the hubs. A lot of guys follow the old wives tale of using a grease gun every trip or every other trip and pump a few shots of grease into a hub. Reality is , you are doing more harm than good....if you started with good seals, after you finish pumping more grease in, you will do nothing but blow out the seals.Grease in a trailer bearing does not dissolve, does not evaporate, it goes nowhere....except when you decide to do some good and get out the grease gun.... (wrong ).......if the bearing is full of grease ( and it should be if packed properly ) the only place for the new grease to go is to take the path of least resistance, which is the rear seal. New grease in, old ( still perfectly good ) grease blows out the rear seal. Once this happens the first time, then you are committed to a cycle of losing grease thru the rear seal and pumping more in, not only that, you have now compromised the integrity of the bearing by allowing water/silt/sand to enter the bearing thru the blown seal, cutting the bearing lifespan considerably. Most people have no clue that they have blown out the rear seal, they just think the hubs use a lot of grease.

Fab. Hang on a minute. You said before (with pictures) that boat trailer bearing failures are from salt water entering the hub and then rusting bearings and I think that is the number 1 reason as well.

The system that I have explained I use with the bearing buddies is exactly the same and proven method every machine or whatever with a grease nipple on it uses. The old grease and grime comes out and new goes in.

You are saying basically bearing buddies are no good because when you pump in grease you break the seal and water can then get in. Water gets in mine no doubt about it, but I reckon water gets in hubs without bearing buddies anyway so opening up a seal when you pump in grease is not a problem in my view.

You haven't answered what I asked before that if you really believe your closed up, non bearing buddy systems are completely sealed why are you guys recommending and changing bearings every year? They should last a very, very long time (lifetime) if they are sealed and nothing gets in. Then, if they are not fully sealed where does your argument with bearing buddies go as putting in new grease can only be a good thing?

If you think about it, having bearing buddies is no different to a closed hub, the only difference is that you can put in new grease to lube it and get some of the junk out that has salt in it.

Anyway I think I might stay quiet on this now lol. They have worked for me so I'm happy and just use whatever method works for you I guess. Oh yeh and nothing personal at all Fab we are just discussing this :)

Fab. Hang on a minute. You said before (with pictures) that boat trailer bearing failures are from salt water entering the hub and then rusting bearings and I think that is the number 1 reason as well.

There's other reasons as well, rubbing a smear of grease on the outside of the bearings and not fully packing grease through the individual bearings and cages will destroy them very quickly too.

So will over tightening the castleated nut.

The system that I have explained I use with the bearing buddies is exactly the same and proven method every machine or whatever with a grease nipple on it uses. The old grease and grime comes out and new goes in.

Correct, but I dont see machines being drowned in the briny very often.

You are saying basically bearing buddies are no good because when you pump in grease you break the seal and water can then get in.

Bearing buddies are very good when installed correctly, if you don, t compromise the rear seal by pumping grease into them blowing out the seal.

Water gets in mine no doubt about it, but I reckon water gets in hubs without bearing buddies anyway so opening up a seal when you pump in grease is not a problem in my view.

You haven't answered what I asked before that if you really believe your closed up, non bearing buddy systems are completely sealed why are you guys recommending and changing bearings every year?

Can't answer for others, I do have bearing buddies fitted on my boat trailer and change the bearings every 6months regardless when I do my half yearly maintenance as it doesn't cost me anything.

They should last a very, very long time (lifetime) if they are sealed and nothing gets in.

The key here is (sealed).

You'll still get wear.

Then, if they are not fully sealed where does your argument with bearing buddies go as putting in new grease can only be a good thing?

Your only putting a bandaid on by doing this which is better than nothing but the cure is a teardown, replacement of bearings and seal.

If you think about it, having bearing buddies is no different to a closed hub, the only difference is that you can put in new grease to lube it and get some of the junk out that has salt in it.

I am thinking about it, getting that junk out that has salt in it has been caused by a seal failure, caused by the operator pumping grease into the bearing buddies needlessly.

Again nothing personal mate, im always open to peoples ideas, debates.

Anyway I think I might stay quiet on this now lol. They have worked for me so I'm happy and just use whatever method works for you I guess. Oh yeh and nothing personal at all Fab we are just discussing this :)

Can't answer for others, I do have bearing buddies fitted on my boat trailer and change the bearings every 6months regardless when I do my half yearly maintenance as it doesn't cost me anything.

The key here is (sealed).

You'll still get wear.

I am thinking about it, getting that junk out that has salt in it has been caused by a seal failure, caused by the operator pumping grease into the bearing buddies needlessly

Come on mate. If you and other blokes are changing out bearings every 6-12 months you must be telling yourself saltwater has gotten in because there is no way the average boat trailer bearing is going to wear in that time if they are completely sealed up. Cars and trucks travel hundreds of thousands of km's on the same bearings and the average boat trailer does nowhere near these distances.

As I said before if the seals were totally sealed they should last a lifetime on a boat trailer. If you believe they are totally sealed you wouldn't be wasting your time and money changing them so often.

When you pump in grease the seal opens to let the grease out but we are talking a tiny gap, not a gaping hole. I still can't see any reasonable argument for not pumping new grease in regularly as this tiny gap created that lets water in is no different to non bearing buddied seals that let water in anyway.

Your only putting a bandaid on by doing this which is better than nothing but the cure is a teardown, replacement of bearings and seal.

Of course mate. What we are doing with pumping grease in is maintenance. All maintenance technically is a band aid approach. Just like changing the oil in the engine. You don't rebuild your engine every time it needs to be serviced. That would be a waste of time and money.

put it this way, there,s no need to pump grease into them after they have been fitted.

If your pumping grease into them once fitted, your grease is going somewhere yeah, usually strait out through the back seal.

So why is there a little hole indicator in the bearing buddy?

I had dura hubs fitted to our single axle boat trailer some six years ago.We have travelled to lake jindabyne and lake Glenbawn at least once a year, plus other trips to Botany Bay, sydney harbour etc. We always put the trailer hubs underwater. I am very happy with them. Geoff.

So why is there a little hole indicator in the bearing buddy?

To indicate that once the grease seeps out the hole you've pumped enough grease Into them, but the guys I've personally have seen need it printed in braile.

Like I said thanks for all the input from everyone, do what you think is best for "you".

That is what makes this site "Great"you can have a civilized discussion.

Hope you guys/girls all have a great weekend and while your out there fishing think of all the poor buggers like me working living the dream.lol.

Cheers.