Taking fishing for granted

Paikea

I went to a wedding at Pier One on Saturday, stayed the night and early next morning the boss took me for a walk along the foreshore to the opera house, around the O P and back again. (did my knee replacement the world of good. Not! I was buggered when we got back.)

Just before the bridge there was a young Asian couple fishing. I stopped and asked the young lady "caught any", she replied that she had caught a Taylor and proceeded to open her Esky and show me. "about 43 cm's" she said so obviously knew what she was about.

I then asked "any Kingies" she smiled and replied "I wish, that is everybody's dream".

We talked some more and after I walked away I thought how fantastic that a young woman can be so passionate and knowledgeable about catching fish and have a dream of catching a fish that those of us with boats tend to take for granted.

Made me realise just how fortunate we are, at the risk of waffling on I have to say that her enthusiastic attitude and friendly response to an old bugger like me made me feel great for the whole day.

If by chance the young lady is on this site, thank you.

Cheers

Paikea

Yes, everyone that has a boat is really privileged lol, I haven't caught a legal fish in 5 trips, and I drive an hour just to get to any water. I just came back from Dolans bay caught a 24cm undersize bream and some undersize snapper, but we keep trying, one day...hopefully will get something worthwhile :)

I know what you mean land based I will spend hours and if I get one little king it's amazing and all the people around me will be looking at me going WOW if I'm fishing off my boat I get a little rat it wouldn't even matter somebody would ask me what I've caught and I would say ar just a rat nothing much they would say it's been slow hasn't it what you caught only one legal king and a few rats nothing much

Cheers sydneyfisher12

I don't have a boat but am very grateful that syd fisher takes me out

Also got a double seater hobie but don't take it out all that often with my dad as he is doing some renovations on our house

I also remember catching my first kingy, landbased to measuring in at 67cm, legal so I was so stoked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of taking things for granted, I think we all need to take time to smell the roses.

Just yesterday we had a gathering at my father-in-laws for his 75th birthday.

He, s an animal lover from way back and loves to feed the wild birds every morning and evening.

Whilst the invasion of wild rainbow lorikeets was happening, I went inside to call the young ones out to watch,"I've seen birds before" was the reply I got.

Heres a couple of shots.6y5umu5u.jpgvuduzazy.jpgaqu5enan.jpgavahuqup.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Edited by Fab1

Thanks mate, he's my father inlaw.

I love spending the time with him that he has left and listening to all of his story's.

He, s had 1 lung since catching pneumonia back in Christchurch when he was 20 and 2 knee reconstructions also mate.

Sadly my wife, son and I spend more time helping him and his wife out and visiting than his other 4 children do.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I visited my grandfather this weekend with my family - he is in his late 80s and taken some turns lately. Lucid, quiet yet communicative, but a shadow of his former self and a life of hard work has taken its toll. We both share a love of flying and it was great to see his face light up when I put some aircraft documentaries on for him that I brought up. I am taking care of his old flying kit and I took a look through his log book - first flight in 1947 in a tiger moth. Leafed through his training years and then found some of the flights he took my parents on flying them to weddings, shark patrols he flew around South West Rocks, the flight he took me up for the first time.

Dad and I sorted through some of the stuff in his garage. He was a mechanic and ran his own garage for I would guess over 50 years, but wouldn't stop fixing things for people in retirement. I don't think there was much you couldn't build in that shed between the tools, parts and relics he had in there. Its a history in itself, and Dad kept finding things and telling me something about them with him and Pop, where things came from, what Pop used to do with them, and between us scratching our heads at what some things were for.

Makes you appreciate what can be done in a life and how if you want to do something you should be out there doing it. Flying, Fishing, Fixing old tractors - do it while you can.

How good are the above posts. It is not all about fishing and taking the time to think about what is truly important and then sharing it with others is wonderful. Who said men didn't have feelings? Feel privileged to be a member of this site.

Steve

Good read guys, couldn't agree more.