Wonder Wobbler

Holls

I've heard talk on this forum of spinners, slicers, blades and slugs, but rarely is the old Wonder Wobbler mentioned. Originally manufactured in Melbourne in the 1950s (I think), I still reckon its one of the best staple lures and copied by others. A pretty unique action that is irresistible to many species of fish, both salt and freshwater. Does anyone still use them?

Gillies make the S.H. Wobbler which is identical to the original Wonder Wobbler so maybe they bought the patent. They are available in most tackle shops. I have a 7g and a 20g both terrific little standbuys when the need arises! Tailor will snatch them, but then tailor seem to hit just about anything! Robert

Edited by Holls

I used to fish with the smallest wonder wobbler in the late seventies mostly in the Boyne river Caught heaps of fish on it small trevally(gts diamonds and golden)as well as steelback queenfish blue salmon and plenty of bream both yellowfin and pikey

Maybe I should try them again as an alternative to blades

Gillies make the S.H. Wobbler which is identical to the original Wonder Wobbler so maybe they bought the patent. They are available in most tackle shops. I have a 7g and a 20g both terrific little standbuys when the need arises! Tailor will snatch them, but then tailor seem to hit just about anything! Robert

The original design was Al's Goldfish produced over sixty years ago and well out of patent. The wonder Wobbler still about, brought a heap a while back from the online dealer in Tassie, he's quite reliable I use him for the Lofty Cobra as well which are hard to buy in Sydney.

I scored six of them at a garage sale about a year ago. I have three left.

I troll them for flathead and have lost a couple to fish. If you don't tell anyone I also lost one with a miscast that put it in a tree.

Dave

I used to fish with the smallest wonder wobbler in the late seventies mostly in the Boyne river Caught heaps of fish on it small trevally(gts diamonds and golden)as well as steelback queenfish blue salmon and plenty of bream both yellowfin and pikey

Maybe I should try them again as an alternative to blades

Good grief, talk about a memory blast, your mention of the Boyne River %%%%%ed my interest, so I looked at your profile.

I spent around 3-4 years at Gladstone as a teenager and where I really learned to fish. Boyne River, Awoonga Dam, Calliope River, 1770.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good grief, talk about a memory blast, your mention of the Boyne River %%%%%ed my interest, so I looked at your profile.

I spent around 3-4 years at Gladstone as a teenager and where I really learned to fish. Boyne River, Awoonga Dam, Calliope River, 1770.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep Im a barney point brat as they called us kids that grew up in that suburb Most of my time was spent fishing as a kid and teenager when I wasn't playing or training for soccer and athletics in all the places you mentioned as well as Southend

Yes, I still use them now and find them very effective on the bigger rainbows and browns in our local impoundments ;)

The smallest abu toby is a great trout lure Not sure if you can still get them I only have one left