Rod recommendations

Kyle_9173

Hi all, I’m a land based angler based in Sydney I commonly fish the north Sydney area and a few other spots further toward the heads, I’m looking for a rod that is light enough to throw lures for kings and bonito/ mac tuna and sambos but also able to throw a float out with a live bait under neath I have an 8000 spheros spooled with 40lb to pair nothing over 8 foot and under 7 foot thanks in advance 

55B4CA0E-A827-4667-BCA6-B1307AC6207D.jpeg

61551D2D-888F-4208-AA1C-1672BB9B475B.jpeg

• Like 2

I have a Penn Regiment 7'6'' .Great rod. I use a Penn Clash CLA5000 Reel with it.

Penn have different sizes. You will find them on the Penn website.

You could also look at a Shimano Terez Rod,but they are expensive.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Thanks 1

Shimano Terez. The Terez black 7.2 inch in a 20 to 50lb line class. I am confident that, that will balance really well with your reel although. I would take your reel to a shop with a large selection of rods and try it on. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Kyle, Nice reel you have - should last a lifetime. Your rod choice will initially be by its PE rating or lure weight class and maybe price. The above are good rods to suit. Don't forget to check others like the Samaki Zing which are good bang for their buck.

You probably want a brand same as your reel so you have a nice "outfit" though.

Tight lines

• Thanks 1

Budget??

Daiwa Saltist Hyper 72MH SPIN ROD Med.Heavy, 60-120g lure weight 7'0"/213cm PE 3-5 9say 30 to 50lb) 2 piece Fast Spin

The only change I made was remove the butt cap and put a different one on. The original could slip off on the odd occasion I was using the rod for jigging. I've found it to be a very versatile outfit (casting off the rocks, live baiting). I set mine up with a Daiwa BG5000 and a thin 50lb jigging line but it should be of similar size to the 8000 you have.

• Thanks 1

What type of lures? Based on the rod suggestions above and reel you have, it sounds like a popping rod is probably the extent of your luring.

The other popular kingie lure is the slapstix - i dont think think you need a super flexy rod but a bit of softness would help the action of the lure- i think the rods above might be too stiff but I can't say for sure as I don't have them.

@DerekD , as an owner of that rod, do you reckon it can impart the right action for a slapstix?

And of course metal jigs are your other lure option, depending on the type you can prob get away with the above rods.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anthman said:

What type of lures? Based on the rod suggestions above and reel you have, it sounds like a popping rod is probably the extent of your luring.

The other popular kingie lure is the slapstix - i dont think think you need a super flexy rod but a bit of softness would help the action of the lure- i think the rods above might be too stiff but I can't say for sure as I don't have them.

@DerekD , as an owner of that rod, do you reckon it can impart the right action for a slapstix?

And of course metal jigs are your other lure option, depending on the type you can prob get away with the above rods.

Hi Anthman,

Personally I think that the original poster is overgunning with 40lb for the target species but as he already has the 8000 reel I recommended a rod that fits the requirements as stated.

I picked up that rod and reel (BG5000 with skinny 50lb) for a snapper rod on steroids set up off the rocks. I was hooking small kings off the rocks with the Raider Snapper 762 but getting them out of the water without a big landing net or gaff (didn't want to kill them) was the stumbling block so I got a bigger outfit. Turned out to be a sweet outfit for so many things. I can still bang 60 to 120gram lures off the rocks. The rod tip is just soft enough that I can get some really good action out of the slapstix when matched with 1/2 or 5/8 or 3/4 oz jig heads. There is a technique for the retrieve which you need to use but not difficult to learn. Offshore jigging worked well too. There is enough flex in the tip that the line will not easily wrap the end of the rod when you stop the upward stroke. I use it with bait too.

I've since had a couple of mates who have gone with a similar set-up. One put on a BG4000 with 40lb and the other went the Saragosa 10000 with 50lb so a Saragosa 8000 with 40lb should match the rod well.

As mentioned above - I changed the butt cap out for one of this type as it stays on the rod a bit better and I still can use a gimbal belt.:

Pin on Fishing

12 hours ago, anthman said:

In terms of lures will be slapstick’s and metal jigs that and the odd metal or stinking stick bait to get under the bust ups for kingys. Will be mainly focused on metals and floating live baits our squid and yakkas mainly with prawns 

16 hours ago, Kyle_9173 said:

In terms of lures will be slapstick’s and metal jigs that and the odd metal or stinking stick bait to get under the bust ups for kingys. Will be mainly focused on metals and floating live baits our squid and yakkas mainly with prawns 

You might even get away with a two rod setup: rods suggested with a live bait out there and a lighter rod to work whilst you wait.

A @DerekD favourite is the shimano raider 5-8kg snapper rod with a suitable reel (4k size). 

• Like 1

Hi Kyle,

A follow up to this thread. Was in at one of my local tackle stores and there is a range from Daiwa called the Saltist. Was looking at a rod with the same specs (line rating PE3/5 lure rating 60 to 120gm and 7 foot length) as the Saltist Hyper I recommended above but for only $99. It is a mat black and the guides are not stainless but if you are on a budget then it might be worth looking at.

Regards,

Derek

8 hours ago, Kyle_9173 said:

Ended u getting the major craft crostage pe 1-5-3.5 9’6 model awesome rod keen to get a bend in it cheers for all your help

Hmmmmm.....9 foot 6 inches.... Thought one of your original criteria was "nothing over 8 foot and under 7 foot thanks in advance". ^_^

Thanks for the update. Haven't heard of it either but interested to hear how it goes.

Edited by DerekD

Majorcraft is a decent entry level Japanese rod make on a budget, and quiet popular for those that started getting into Jap brand rods. In saying this, just keep an eye on it and be slightly more careful with them as I've had a few mates snap their MJ rods unexpectedly. 

For me, I've only ever owned their Egi rods and at its price point at the time, it's a really good entry rod for squiding. Hope you have a better experience with it.

Also, remember as due to the carbon content level, if you knock them a little too hard, there can be fractures in the rod that you cannot see or feel, so where possible avoid knocking (I understanding knocking a rod isn't done on purpose). My MJ egi rod has copped knocks and stuff often, however shattered on a cast after one severe knock and I didn't see or feel the fracture on that one. Shattered exactly where it got knocked as well.

Edited by Rob81
  • Like 1