Sydney Harbour Friday 27th June

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Did my regular Friday fishing trip in the harbour today.

After getting some live bait from Clifton Gardens I headed over to the north of the harbour.

It was a little windy but that didn't interfere with the fishing.

I usually put out a live bait, a dead squid ( fresh strips if I have them) and I fish a lightly weighted squid or salted half pilchard on lighter gear.

Not a singe hit on any of the bigger baits and I got bitten off heaps of times by chopper tailor although I caught pike, trevally, chinaman leatherjackets and some big slimey mackerel which I used for cut baits.

The pickers turned up in droves so I headed off to the drop off in middle harbour as the tide started running out. Nothing much happening there so I headed over to sow and pigs at around 10AM.

Sow and Pigs was firing nicely but I was getting bitten off a lot by tailor so I changed to a 3 gang hook setup. I missed a lot more fish but the ones I caught were all much better quality.

I caught half a dozen each of bream tailor and trevs all around the size of the ones in the picture. The trevalies got a little larger towards midday but I had a feed so everything went back. The Tailor hung around unit about 12:30.

I had two large strip baits out. A tailor fillet and slimey mackerel fillet. I was on the southern side of the reef and the baits were swinging around the to the east in the current. One of them went off with a steady strong pull but any hopes of a jew were quick dashed as this had the feel of a shark or ray. It was a port jackson shark. I reeled him in remove the hook and released him. A little later I pulled in a very large octopus which I also let go.

Headed home at about 2pm and saw a large pod of dolphins near Bradley's Head.

Plenty of winter fish around at the moment and I would recommend fishing ganged hooks and pilchards at sow and pigs... the better calibre bream and trevally will hook up and there are some good quality tailor around. Anchor on the up current side of the reef, burley up and you should get a good feed.

post-32937-0-92689500-1403860829_thumb.jpg

Trevs later in the day were like this

post-32937-0-94605000-1403860852_thumb.jpg

This is the typical size of the fish

post-32937-0-86815400-1403860876_thumb.jpg

This poor trev is a little deformed

post-32937-0-61565000-1403860895_thumb.jpg

Octopus ( not a good photo)

post-32937-0-61691400-1403860912_thumb.jpg

The Port Jacksom Shark

Cheers

Jim