High End Rod Purchase Problem

Nolongeramember

Hi. I bought a new GLoomis rod a while ago and at the time the shop owner salesman explained to me that this particular model I'm interested in is discontinued, they are no longer available and the 2 he has in stock is all he can get.

After using the rod I really liked it so in case it was to be damaged or lost I went back a few weeks later and bought the other one he had in stock.

Now, A few months later I've spoken to Shimano themselves and this model rod is still in production and available from them just like any other rod.

I want to return the second rod I purchased as I have no need for it. If something was to happen to my first rod I can buy a replacement any time I like. I may never need the second rod. The problem is this place does not do refunds and it has been a few months. The rod is genuinely unused and still in the plastic wrapping.

Do I have a case or not?

I'd definetly walk in with the second rod and ask for money back because he lied and there's a good possibility I know which tackle store you're talking about because over the years iv caught him telling me porky pies, in one case returning a rod.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Roylo, that is unfortunate, have you been a regular customer for some time?

Unfortunately the consumer and fair trading laws cannot support you based on "changing your mind", despite the fact you had been given incorrect information. The retailer can always say that was the information he had been given and told you "in good faith". Having said that, any retailer who wants to remain in business, would without hesitation, accept your return and give you a refund. Would suggest you front him, politely, and explain that he had been misled and had then "unknowingly misled you".

I find being reasonable and polite, at least at first, usually works. Good luck.

Steve

I'd definetly walk in with the second rod and ask for money back because he lied and there's a good possibility I know which tackle store you're talking about because over the years iv caught him telling me porky pies, in one case returning a rod.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna try thanks.

WHICH tackle shop, Go there and stick it up him.

That was my first thought!

Hi Roylo, that is unfortunate, have you been a regular customer for some time?

Unfortunately the consumer and fair trading laws cannot support you based on "changing your mind", despite the fact you had been given incorrect information. The retailer can always say that was the information he had been given and told you "in good faith". Having said that, any retailer who wants to remain in business, would without hesitation, accept your return and give you a refund. Would suggest you front him, politely, and explain that he had been misled and had then "unknowingly misled you".

I find being reasonable and polite, at least at first, usually works. Good luck.

Steve

No I'm not a regular customer at this place. I will go and politely explain my situation and ask for a refund but I cant see him agreeing to give back over $400 that I paid. I'm going to try anyway as it looks like that is my only option. Thanks guys

If he won't refund your money, you might bluff him that you will inform other fishos not to visit his shop.

I don't think I'll bluff him, I should just shame him anyway as it looks like he's a regular at bending the truth to make a sale. Can't do these things on this site though and that's fair enough too, but we can speak to people about our experiences.

These kinds of shops think they are making more sales by acting like this but long term it hurts them more. Same goes with shops that don't refund on change of mind. They think they are loosing money by refunding and short term they are, but long term it keeps customers positive and coming back, encouraging others to visit as well. This makes a lot more dollars in the long run. Look at all the biggest well known shops around. They are the most successful and they all refund without any problem. Other businesses should take note.

The few times I've been in there it's always dead of customers. Even on weekends! My local which is an excellent tacklo and I think the best in Sydney, has customers flooding in every day of the week! And they refund....