Northern Beaches Drummer

LuckyFil

Been having a very lean run lately with the last 4 drummer outings producing zip. Tried a couple of different locations including 1 that has produced in the past and a new one that resulted in a good tussle with a decent sized pig but he one his freedom. So I was starting to wonder if I still knew how to catch them.

Finally that changed yesterday with a blinder session. My son Pat, who is usually my fishing mate, is overseas but his mate Al, who we often fish with, rang and suggested we have a crack at a spot he'd just sussed out. So we headed off to meet at some rocks where he gathers cunji, his usual bait, I prefer bread as this attracts less by catch. Then off to the spot.

A 15 minute walk in then looked around and lots of promising drop offs with plenty of wash and had the place to ourselves! So we kept looking for the right spot that looked fishy and was high enough to be safe given there was still a fair bit of swell (and it was forecast to rise).

I dropped a bread bait in under a float and Al his cunji straight through with just a small pea sinker. In very short time he was on and landed a nice pig around 38cm. He dropped back in and was on straight away landing another the same size. I'm still to get a bite! He's on a hat trick now and just misses out as he springs off another but it isn't long before he has his third in the keeper net. This is killing me so I give the bread a miss and switch to cunji and ditch the float.

It's not long before I land my first drummer in many outings so am a happy boy. From then on it was pretty consistent. They tended to come in waves with a couple of bites in quick succession then a break for 10 -15 minutes.

I then landed a good fat one of 46cm and next drop pulled in his twin. Coudn't get the smile off my face.

We had 8 nice fish by this stage and decided to call it quits but just fished on for a few minutes more both landing another fish each and returning these to appease the fishing gods for next time - one of these was a good 2 kilo fish - didn't think I'd have been doing that after my recent results.

Here's a couple of pics

LuckyFilpost-18455-0-73539100-1404778192_thumb.jpgpost-18455-0-67770600-1404778255_thumb.jpg

Solid fish Fil!

Looks like chasing drummer is all the rage at the moment aha! Might give it a go this weekend. Any rock face with seaweed growing is okay guys?

Ideal conditions NE wind making a nice amount of wash, fish the upcoming tide ( gather your cunji at low tide and fish on through ). In my experience Westerlys flatten the swell and make for bad fishing, so i avoid these.

When you grabbing your cunji look out for red crabs, big bream will love them and all my 60cm drummer models have come on red crab.

I prep my red crab like so. Use the flap on the belly (only take males the flap is triangular) pull this out and back over its head and the shell will come with. Use an old knife to break the legs at the first join so as to leave small knobs. Cut the crab in half leaving to perfect hemispheres of crab meat. Thread your hook through one of the leg joins and have the point come out through the meat.

gather you legs and shells mash them together with wet bread and there is some super charged berley.

There is no better bait off the rocks for big Drummer Bream and even groper if thats your things.

P.s if you ever manage to score a read crab that has just dropped its shell and has a new leathery soft shell these things are big fish dynamite.

Edited by laddercat

i had a drummer session too weeks ago with a mate and only landed 4 fish with about 20 bust offs biggest went 34cm.

is 10lb mono a bit to light ...?

Yes to light, minimum 10kg in a quality mono so you get the strength at a smaller thickness

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

great bag of drummer!

Do you use a circle hook when fishing this method or just the standard j-shape hook?

Mind letting us know what size?

Thanks

Cheers,

Kenny

I was using size 1 XX strength suicide but Al was using circle hooks of a similar size. Although they seem quite thin steel Al says he's never had one straighten out on a fish.

Yes to light, minimum 10kg in a quality mono so you get the strength at a smaller thickness

Harry

I agree that 10kg (20lb) main line is about right. I currently use braid mainline and varying strengths of mono/flourocarbon leader for abrasion resistance. Braid doesn't handle the rocks to well especially what drummer do when they dive for cover. In clear light conditions I'm using 17lb Vanish leader (2- 3 meters), but in rougher conditions 40lb Black Magic leader. I started with the lighter stuff yesterday and switched to the heavy when I got reefed, but the fish were pretty cooperative and didn't seem to mind the heavy leader. A lot of guys just use 20lb mono straight through which is simpler, I just like the lack of stretch and sensitivity of braid.

I agree that 10kg (20lb) main line is about right. I currently use braid mainline and varying strengths of mono/flourocarbon leader for abrasion resistance. Braid doesn't handle the rocks to well especially what drummer do when they dive for cover. In clear light conditions I'm using 17lb Vanish leader (2- 3 meters), but in rougher conditions 40lb Black Magic leader. I started with the lighter stuff yesterday and switched to the heavy when I got reefed, but the fish were pretty cooperative and didn't seem to mind the heavy leader. A lot of guys just use 20lb mono straight through which is simpler, I just like the lack of stretch and sensitivity of braid.

If I was using spin, I'd probably have braid, but with Alveys mono is pretty much the only option

Harry

i never went higher then 15lb on mono when i was a young bloke and now ill lever go higher then 15lb braid with 30lb fluro leader.

If a drummer is going to brick you it will brick you. The higher bite rate and ability to also target bream on the lighters stuff is far superior in my opinion.

Land your fish with the wash, and buy the highest quality 15lb u can afford those are the two rules i stick by.

Great post, I usually target them around Maroubra, What brand of mono do you guys prefer? I usually use Tortue but find its a little to thick very abrasive resistant though.

Great post, I usually target them around Maroubra, What brand of mono do you guys prefer? I usually use Tortue but find its a little to thick very abrasive resistant though.

Yep, from the guys I know that use mono for drummer Tortue is their preference - and yes I agree it is a bit thicker than others but has good abrasion resistance and no 'memory' i.e. doesn't kink up like some

I tink drummers aren't really leader shy, they are caught in harsh environments and don't really have time so see what's going on, they grab the bait before it goes, full stop. the best drummer fisherman I know uses 40 lb straight and it doesn't seem to cause any problem at all., I'm yet to beat his 5.4kg fish. I personally go 40 too, 30 when it's not too rough, 20 when it's dead flat, but it usually doesn't matter, dead flat + drummers aren't good friends ;) 10 lb is not serious, causes useless injuries on fishes imo, not saying you won't land a legal, but you know ...

never fished for them and so never have eaten them yet, if you had a choice between a bream and a drummer what would you prefer to eat? also what is your favorite way to cook them? I love eating fish that's why i ask these sort of questions ,

thank you Leonard.

never fished for them and so never have eaten them yet, if you had a choice between a bream and a drummer what would you prefer to eat? also what is your favorite way to cook them? I love eating fish that's why i ask these sort of questions ,

thank you Leonard.

In my opinion it's one of the best eating fish in the water and I know some will disagree but I'd say better than bream. But you do have to look after it - firstly keep the fish in a rock pool in your keeper net to ensure they stay cool - some say this also allows the fish to release the adrenaline that builds up during a fight which taints the flesh. I like to fillet and skin the fish, then dip in egg and panko crumbs and lightly fry for a few minutes - yum! The fillets are white, thick and moist with a light fish flavour. Others cook them whole - can't say how to do that. I go fishing in Far North QLD every year and have eaten all the quality tropical fish - barra, jacks, coral trout, finger-mark snapper, blue tusk fish, spanish macks, and I reckon properly prepared drummer is up there with the best!