Confused about Cunje

aceace

Hey raiders,

Ive been reading on the forums about how great cunje is for catching a variety of fish, but unfortunately im am quite of a noob. Could you guys please show me what im meant to be looking out for, how to put it on my hook, and any other tips and bits of information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :sun:

Do i need to wear gloves and is the outside hard or soft, because after some research i think ive seen them before. At some rocky places there were clumps of brown lumps the size of a 10 cent coin with a bit of red showing and when you step on them, they would squirt out some fluids. Is that it?

Do i need to wear gloves and is the outside hard or soft, because after some research i think ive seen them before. At some rocky places there were clumps of brown lumps the size of a 10 cent coin with a bit of red showing and when you step on them, they would squirt out some fluids. Is that it?

No, they are about the size of tennis balls, and often grow in clumps. Google "cunjevoi". You cut them in half with a knife.

Ahhhh thanks for all your replies! :soccer_h4h: i just have one more question. With that red mass in the middle, do i just put it on my hook or do i cut it into smaller pieces? do i just simply hook it on or is there some special way of doing it. Thanks guys

The top part (the eye) is quite firm & generally speaking is one bait , ie not necessary to be cut.

The bottom section tends to be a bit mushey ( soft) & as such can be used but one bite & it's gone.

Keep in mind , the outer skin is very tough & not available to most fish so whilst it's worth trying , don't expect miricles

Geoff

thanks for your reply, so what you are saying is to separate the mushy bit from the hard bait, so essentially i get 2 pieces from one cunje. And btw im trying to go for drummer and maybe even the odd grouper.