Garmin sounder combo

oz_brett

At the end of last year my gps on my Humminbird combo stopped working so it was time for an upgrade. After looking at specs on so many different units the decision come between Simrad, Lowrance & Garmin. I went store to store checking & playing with the display units only I could not find the Garmin on display but the Simrad ns7 was not a 7" screen (should have been called the ns6) Lowrance had no mention of there waterproofing although I'm sure they would be but there extras are more expansive then Garmin.

So Garmin was my final choice and I must say I am very happy with it; GPS very quick with great detail, the Chirp transducer I am still playing with but Ive also added the 77/455 downVu transducer that I found impressive for such a cheep transducer, Travelling back to Sydney Heads at about 6kts in 20m of depth still with clear reading Im happy with that! Video was recorded using an I-phone and free software from Garmin.

post-8167-0-48497400-1405491695_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

70s is still a nice unit, wait till you see how fast the maps are !

Im sure you will be happy with the sounder they make good units. Look at the "Garmin helm" app for your smart phone or tablet its as good as having a second head unit on the boat. I turn my unit on whilst in the driveway then sit at the PC looking up gps marks online putting them into the gps using the tablet.

Brett

By the way guys,

I had a chat to the guys from Garmin at the boat show, They now have replaced the sales rep and making big improvements to support crew. this is a good thing for us :-)

The guy I was talking to also said to keep your software up to date they are working on some big improvements check for the latest software at the link below.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4749

if you click on your model number it will give you the list of improvements that each software update provides

Cheers

Brett