Central Coast Beach Fishing

sam bros

After not fishing for a while, I had to decided to give the beach a crack a couple of days ago, due to having seen so many salmon and jewies being caught.

Headed to Terrigal Haven rocks to try and get some fresh bait for the beach,or some trevally/bream for the table.

After catching many just undersized bream and squire finally hooked onto a solid fish which i called for a trevally, after a dirty fight it got me snagged on the rocks that were close to my feet. luckily there were a couple of divers there that helped untangle the line and land the fish. The trevally went 40cm and i was really happy with it as i was using light gear and i was lucky not to be busted off.

After a couple more undersized bream and a nice 40cm parrot fish decided to head to budgewoi beach as it was nearing sunset.

Got there and it was so windy and there was so much side current. It basically couldn't be fished.

Had to move to a more sheltered beach. Got there after sunset and rigged up the beach rods with ganged pillies and surf poppers.

First cast, got a bite then bang i'm on. After a solid fight a nice 62 cm salmon was on the beach. Hi fives all round.

In the next 2 hours we got another salmon and 2 tailor.

Many times I would think I was on and after 10 seconds in the fight the line would go slack. It was pretty annoying. Any ideas on how to stop this? maybe invest in some circle hooks?

Pretty awesome night, and it was good to get into some decent fish after not fishing for a while. Hopefully next outing I can get onto some jewfish.

Tight lines!!!

post-23037-0-97244600-1405945631_thumb.jpg

post-23037-0-81103700-1405945636_thumb.jpg

post-23037-0-48910700-1405945639_thumb.jpg

post-23037-0-14083100-1405945642_thumb.jpg

That's a great reel, I definitely need one. It reminds me of when me and my brothers were kids.

We'd screw up a big ball of toilet paper and flush it while it was still attached to the roll. Reel screaming runs.

Seriously I'd be using a 4/0 or 5/0 gang and a stinger. That is a small treble on the last hook .

The eyes of small trebles usually fit over the barb so you need to block it with a twist of wire or cable tie.

I have had nights when I have got 4 and 5 only on the stinger, not on the gang.

Be careful they are a lot sharper and the small point and barbs can catch you up very easily.

Hope this helps, and thanks for laugh.

Great outing mate

No jewwie but still a great night I used to fish around terrigal and Avoca

I found that the squid are great at terrigal but many other species

What rig did you use at terrigal and what did you do with the parrot fish

Cheers thefisherman6784

P.S. Love your thinking scratchie with the reel and the locked drag :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you guys do with parrot fish but in New Caledonia we make a Tahitian Fish Salad, really yummy.

post-31714-14059982208842_thumb.jpg

post-31714-14059982282476_thumb.jpg

Coconut juice, veggies, and the fish flesh is cooked by the lemon juice

Huy

Edited by quochuy

That's a great reel, I definitely need one. It reminds me of when me and my brothers were kids.

We'd screw up a big ball of toilet paper and flush it while it was still attached to the roll. Reel screaming runs.

Seriously I'd be using a 4/0 or 5/0 gang and a stinger. That is a small treble on the last hook .

The eyes of small trebles usually fit over the barb so you need to block it with a twist of wire or cable tie.

Be careful they are a lot sharper and the small point and barbs can catch you up very easily.

hahaha, I really want to try that flushing toilet paper trick.

will keep the fishing addiction at bay

that stinger hook seems like a great idea, will be trying this next outing

thanks

Also give the fish around 5 seconds before striking, will give it time to swallow the bait a bit more

Huy

yeah I wait that long (about 5-10 seconds) then strike

but sometimes i get too excited and strike a bit early

cheers

Great effort on the fish mate! That reel however, is absolute gold. Gotta get me one of them. I'll lock the drag up, so the mrs stops using all the paper!!! Lol

Cheers scratchie!!!

hahaha

thanks mate

glad to know that putting fishing reels in the toilet isn't such an insane idea

I enjoyed reading this report Sam bros. Makes me want to stop using excuses and get out there!

thanks mate. hopefully we will be hearing a report from you soon

Great outing mate

No jewwie but still a great night I used to fish around terrigal and Avoca

I found that the squid are great at terrigal but many other species

What rig did you use at terrigal and what did you do with the parrot fish

Cheers thefisherman6784

P.S. Love your thinking scratchie with the reel and the locked drag :P

I just used a simple running sinker rig with a size 8 long shank to try to get some yakka( no yakka about)

I used a size 2 suicide for the trevally and bream

very simple but its always effective

As for the parrot fish it was released to fight another day

Yeah tried to catch some squid but they weren't there that day unfortunate so i switched to bait

the other people around didn't seem to have any luck with the squid either

Hope this helps

Not sure what you guys do with parrot fish but in New Caledonia we make a Tahitian Fish Salad, really yummy.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1405998219.963903.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1405998227.579836.jpg

Coconut juice, veggies, and the fish flesh is cooked by the lemon juice

Huy

Don't really know many people that keep parrot fish

But that dish looks pretty nice

Edited by sam bros

Ive given gang hooks away completely and now use 4-0 or 5-0 circles half a pillie on each once hooked they very rarely throw the hook as salmon and tailor love to leap out of the water.

Is it legal to use a treble while bait fishing ?

Just to clarify, is that definitely a parrot fish? If so, it's different to what I know as a parrot fish. This to me at least, looks more like a type of wrasse. I could certainly be wrong though.

Ive given gang hooks away completely and now use 4-0 or 5-0 circles half a pillie on each once hooked they very rarely throw the hook as salmon and tailor love to leap out of the water.

yeah i had one rod with a half pillie and 4/0 suicide but that didnt get touched as much as the other ganged pillies

I got more hits on the gang for some reason

Regs only say maximum of 3 hooks or 3 gangs of hooks per line. So guess that depends on if a treble counts as a gang hook or not.

Only specific mention of trebles is for lures, max 3.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations/sw/methods

i think it means three sets of gangs per line and a maximum of 5 hooks per set of gangs

"A gang of hooks should have no more than 5 hooks"(DPI)

So would a treble be counted as one hook to make it a total of 4 (three hooks and a treble) or would it be counted as three meaning a total of 6(three hooks and three hooked treble)

Edited by sam bros

Just to clarify, is that definitely a parrot fish? If so, it's different to what I know as a parrot fish. This to me at least, looks more like a type of wrasse. I could certainly be wrong though.

There are many different types of parrot fish (around 90), I'm pretty sure its a parrot fish but not sure what type of parrot fish ( I could be wrong though, as I'm no fish expert).

Wrasse and parrot fish are closely related species

Hopefully a Raider can clarify though

Cheers

Edited by sam bros

yeah i had one rod with a half pillie and 4/0 suicide but that didnt get touched as much as the other ganged pillies

I got more hits on the gang for some reason

i think it means three sets of gangs per line and a maximum of 5 hooks per set of gangs

"A gang of hooks should have no more than 5 hooks"(DPI)

So would a treble be counted as one hook to make it a total of 4 (three hooks and a treble) or would it be counted as three meaning a total of 6(three hooks and three hooked treble)

I just asked in tackle talk