Friday 25th July Sydney Harbour Fishing Report

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I headed out early this morning and ducked in to Clifton Gardens for some yakkas. They were there but it took a lot of burley and patience to get then to take a bait. Bread and pilchard burley and pilchard for bait did the trick after about 45minutes.

Then I went straight over to the point off the quarantine station.

My plan was to fish there until dawn and then check out whether there were any salmon on the surface.

I fished about an hour and a half until dawn for some pinkies that fell just under legal size and two port jackson sharks... it seems every time I fish there I catch PJ Shark or Wobbegong. Trevally were there in numbers but they were undersized.

When the sun came up I headed out past north head. There was very little swell and there was a lot of bird action and I could see Salmon busting up the surface so I skirted around the side of them and cast some small metal lures at them. They were not interested so I tried a few different lures as I followed them inside the harbour and up towards Old Man's Hat. I tried a little white bait pattern, a clear surface popper amongst others but hook ups just weren't happening.

There were half a dozen boats around the school by now and plenty of casts into the school but only a few hookups... it seems no one could match what they were feeding on. I hooked up on a metal lure about 5cm long and got it the boat and it saved me the job of releasing it by throwing the trebles at the last minute. It was around 60cm in length.

The school went deep every so often and popped up 50 meters away each time over a 30 minute period but eventual it stayed down for good. This was about 10:00 am and the wind picked up from the north so I moved over to sow & pigs. It was a little slow on all species except for Trevally which responded to burley. I ended up keeping half a dozen at about 35 cm each. No real sign of any bream or tailor.

The weather was a little windy and cold... the 20 degrees, mostly sunny and light winds promised earlier in the week didn't eventuate.

The water temperature was around 16.5 degrees.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

G'day Jim, It's hard to believe that so many Salmon won't take 99% of what u throw at them when they're feeding on those tiny bait fish, isn't it? Ever tried an (unweighted) small fish bait? Be interesting to see if they would take that. Neil

Ditto the 3" minnow on a 1/32 oz jig head.

You cant cast them far, but if you get near enough you will hook up nearly every time!

Retrieve is sharp swish of the rod downwards followed by a pause while you take up the slack.

Some days, the bloody salmon will not bite, and other days, it's a hookup as soon as the lure hits the water.

At least you took home a few trevally, anything is a bonus on a cold winter's day.

Thanks for the SP suggestions.

I think the SP's are certainly the go if the Salmon are fussy.

I will be better prepared next time with a few choices rigged up and ready...

Yesterday I was a little disorganised... spent half the time moving the boat and digging around in my lure box to find

something they might be interested in.

Cheers

Jim

Good work

Always enjoy reading your posts

Any pics?

Thanks,

No pics sorry. I normally take pics as you probably know from my older posts but I left a bag at home with my phone, wallet and lunch in it.

Can do without the phone and the wallet but I was struggling after 10 hours on the water without food! .. I had to open the emergency

"lost at sea" water supply!

If I had any soy and wasabi those trevs would have been on the menu!

Cheers

JIm

Edited by fragmeister

G'day Jim, It's hard to believe that so many Salmon won't take 99% of what u throw at them when they're feeding on those tiny bait fish, isn't it? Ever tried an (unweighted) small fish bait? Be interesting to see if they would take that. Neil

I think that is a worth a try.

If a lure is the wrong shape and size the salmon may ignore it but if is smells like a fish maybe that will be enough to interest them... beats trying to find the right pattern for the day.

Cheers

Jim