Palm Beach/Bradley's Head

SgtBundy

Used a 5:30 alarm to try and get myself out on a free Sunday before sunrise. Had no real plan or location in mind so by the time I got to Palm Beach to give it a try I made it just after sun up around 7am:

8y3ezehy.jpg

Setup on the the rocks around from the ocean pool and tried my luck with my waxwing lure hoping for a salmon but there seemed nothing about. Tried that for about 45 min before moving on to my lighter rod. I had spooled it the night before with 10lb Fins braid so this was to be my first go with braid. I was amazed the difference it made as I could feel every tap of the little butterfish tapping on the bait . I wasted about an hour on my first wind knot as well. I did land a little wrasse but that was it - he went back:

edepameb.jpg

Around 11:00 I called it quits and decided to try the harbour. I did head up to Palm Beach so I could switch to pittwater after the beach but couldn't pick a location I thought was worthwhile.

Went to Bradley's head to the same place I got a bream first cast last time but after about 4 hours, multiple moves and varied baits I didn't have much more than some taps on the line, but overall very quiet.

I considered a sun up to sun down effort but the wife had been trapped with the kids long enough so I headed home around 3:30.

Disappointed not to have a better showing for the time invested but that's the game I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scoped the beach when I got there but it was so flat I didn't think it was worth it, no obvious gutters or anything. I had some small salted pillies with me though.

Good to finally use braid and see the benefits from the get go though.

One thing I am curious about, I was just sort of prospecting for bream or flathead. I thought they were an all year fish or do they sort of shut down a bit in winter? Or was it just not the right conditions in general - new moon and clear water etc?

I would have been out regardless today but maybe targeting something like blackfish somewhere might have been more productive?

One thing I am curious about, I was just sort of prospecting for bream or flathead. I thought they were an all year fish or do they sort of shut down a bit in winter? Or was it just not the right conditions in general - new moon and clear water etc?

I would have been out regardless today but maybe targeting something like blackfish somewhere might have been more productive?

Same I find that the bream and flatties die down off the beach during the winter,

Barely catch any during winter

But don't really mind, salmon and tailor are great fun