The Kingfish Salmon

laddercat

Target Species: Salmon. Kingfish

Conditions: Overcast, Water temp 15, wind westerly 19-20km NW, Temp 20.

Gear:

Rod: 11ft Daiwa SeaBass medium action 7-15kg

Reel: Teben CBS 5000

Tackle:

Line :15 lb Braid Mainline 30lb Flurocarbon Leader

Lure : 45gm Custom Metal slug

Thought i would head down to Bass Point south of Wollongong to throw some slugs from the stones for some winter pelagics, arrived and heard talk in the carpark of a 30 kilo Kingfish being taken by a spearfisherman the week before.

No surface action or birds so i wandered around scouting some possible Drummer spots and checking out the rock formation at low tide to get a lay of the land. 2 Blokes rocked up around 4pm and setup their dead bait pilchard rigs waiting for what i could only assume would be salmon schools etc.

Hit about 4:30 and about 100 metres out massive areas of surface action, i set about testing out the new Seabass and was getting around 40 meters with the metal slug on a good cast. It felt a little undergunned to begin with and i thought 45gm might be too much for the blank...... OH WAS I WRONG.

i spent the next 30 minutes working lures in and out as the fish sounded and then would resurface 10- metres away for more surface carnage. Around 4:40 i got my first knock around 4:40:10 i received what can only be described as a terrifying demolition of my lure. I lost easily 30 metres on its first run, i can imagine i would of looked the sight me standing at a whopping 5"5 holding a 11 Ft rod leaning almost to the horizontal to keep myself being dragged down the rocks.

After the mystery fishes fourth big run i decided it was now or never and had to tighten the drag, well wasnt that fun Mr fish decided he would simply peel off even more line at the higher drag setting. Luckily for me, and it all honesty it was pure luck not any smart or talented angling on my behalf i think the fish had fought its way into a heart attack and within the next 5 minutes i had retrieved line and had scene my first flashes of colour. KINGFISH ive caught a few off the stones however nothing that came close to this absolute Hoodlum, i can honestly say it would have went 20 kilo plus. So as im highsticking the fish like a complete idiot shaking from head to toe looking at this fish being tumbled back and forth in the eb and flow of the small swell, i forgot one thing. Kingfish are cruel cruel creatures, Mr Kingfish turned its head and with the swell sucking out turned and went to take off straight back where it had come from. I had to make a split second decision to make risk the rod and the blank in its stupid left handed high stick position and try wrestle control or drop the rod and watch 20 kilos of kingfish rub you off on the rocks as it swims away. I went for option 2 and ended up with a rod but no kingfish.

The two crusty old blokes watching sure had a laugh as i howled and sat perfectly still for the next 5 minutes.

What i Learnt:

Daiwa Seabass performed incredibly

Your salmon setup wasnt really designed for hoodlums

oh and i should "stop using that girly pink braid " according to one of the blokes thats why i lost the fish.

Consolation Sunset:

post-33886-0-09925400-1406548080_thumb.jpg

Edited by laddercat

bad luck mate, catching hoodlums is tough to begin with let alone off the rocks.

perhaps it might be worthwhile investing in a cliff gaff? not sure how effective they are as i hear they take a while to deploy, and you certainly cant do it solo

Was bass point very crowded when you were there?

Thanks for the report.

That will be an experience to remember.

Empty but it was poor swell for drummer bream groper etc, flat as a tac. Only good for spinning. Im not sure if there are alot of hardcore rock fisherman in the area but with better swell i assume it would be more crowded. Of course on a weekend i have seen it very crowded. Also this time of year alot less guys there. Bonito in summer really seem to be the key that attracts the big crowds.

Great read... I can feel the excitement and ultimate disappointment.

You are spot on with the "Cruel Kingfish" comment. They are never beaten until they are in the boat or on dry land.

I lost a hoodlum in the harbour last season to a broken hook! Not impressed!

Better luck next time.

Cheers

Jim