Cooks river Jew: devastating!

Witha

G'day raiders, after getting back from an epic trip overseas been flicking lures all week. Other than a few flatties and a couple of dropped stonker bream it's been a bit quiet!

Headed down to the cooks this arvo figuring if I'm gonna doughnut it might as well be whilst chasing jew :) the low was at 4:45 so picked my spot near a bridge with a deep hole and started flicking (same zman I got my last one on) after about 15 mins and a donating a few lures to the bottom I got a big tap on the line and struck up hard onto what felt like a snag. Then brutal headshakes and attempts to wrap me around the pylons! Managed to steer it free, the weight of the thing had me worried as my control over the fish was very limited on my light spin outfit. It started doing laps up and down the shallows and I got colour...A whopper of a jew and I'd call it a Metre. Just as I was about to angle it onto the bank....ping. 12lb leader snaps about half way down and the big ghost calmly swims off with a bit of plastic jewelry...after further inspection I must have missed a nick in the leader. And I think my leader roll is getting a bit old and uv retarded.

Well. After another hour without hits it got dark so I headed off. Brutal loss but damned if I won't be back on Monday to go again! It's what keeps us going! Especially in the search for jewies.

Hopefully I can repeat the conditions soon, dusk low or high seems to be the goods :)

Till then, I'll just keep flicking.

Cheers

Witha

Bad luck mate,

Nice fish by the sound of it and still sounds like great fun to me.

Bet you were shaking afterwards lol!

FYI been using the shimano ocea fluoro lately in 16lb for squid in crystal clear water with good results and they have awesome eyesight, so im pretty sure a jew wouldnt notice it especially in discoloured water.

Id be definately increasing leader size mate.

Get my trout on 10lb leader in the lakes and they are spooky as!

I doubt youll get less hook ups by increasing the leader a bit and that 16lb is strong as.

un lucky

really kick myself when that happens

I fish Sydney harbour and I reckon I have lost

4-5 at my feet earlier this year

every time it happens I bump up my leader

changed to the fg knot

endless upgrades to my jewy hunting technics

un lucky

really kick myself when that happens

I fish Sydney harbour and I reckon I have lost

4-5 at my feet earlier this year

every time it happens I bump up my leader

changed to the fg knot

endless upgrades to my jewy hunting technics

Yeah after feeling the weight and power of that one, confirms my new outfit ideas. Now just need the cash! First things first though new fc leader haha

Bad luck buddy,

Remember its the fish you lose that give you the best lessons and improve you as a fisherman.

Better luck next time.

Good read too by the way... I was there with you, saw the line snap and and everything!

Cheers

Jim

Great work to temp one mate on a lure is awesome

I hate it when you lose a fish but especially a big one that's right at your feet

I also hate to know i could of just done one little thing like check the leader for bad spots and I would of probably landed the fish

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Edited by Sydneyfisher12

Bad luck buddy,

Remember its the fish you lose that give you the best lessons and improve you as a fisherman.

Better luck next time.

Good read too by the way... I was there with you, saw the line snap and and everything!

Cheers

Jim

Definitely mate! A few things I could have done better in that fight and it keeps me learning! Cheers

Great going Witha, I'm Sure you will get the next one! Great day out none the less.

Thanks mate, can't wait for the next opportunity haha

Great work to temp one mate on a lure is awesome

I hate it when you lose a fish but especially a big one that's right at your feet

I also hate to know i could of just done one little thing like check the leader for bad spots and I would of probably landed the fish

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Yeah always gutting when gear pops. Least it wasn't that I'd tied a crappy leader knot or something then I'd be skinning myself haha

Go up to 20lb leader and at least 10lb braid and put the brakes on them...jewies don't care about leaders in the Cooks.

Bream gear is for bream fishing and jewie gear lands them.

You know where they are now and it will be easy to get your first just replicate the event each time and they will come exactly the same time same place every time.

Regards Stewy

Cheers Stew, thanks for the encouragement. Definitely upping the leader by a few pounds. Was on 10lb braid , slowly refining the setup :) Good to know I can make them a regular appointment!

Awesome post mate, I would have loved to have been out fishing tonight.. the first jew I landed went 65cm a couple of years back on 15lb braid.. that same night and in the same 5 minutes my mate hooked a 68cm model on a 500 size reel on a 2-4kilo 6ft jarvis walker rod from the 90's with 6lb braid.. was an epic battle and I got soaked but we got the fish.

been a while since ive caught one now though :(

Awesome post mate, I would have loved to have been out fishing tonight.. the first jew I landed went 65cm a couple of years back on 15lb braid.. that same night and in the same 5 minutes my mate hooked a 68cm model on a 500 size reel on a 2-4kilo 6ft jarvis walker rod from the 90's with 6lb braid.. was an epic battle and I got soaked but we got the fish.

been a while since ive caught one now though :(

Ah man, when they're on they're on! That would have been an epic fight :)

Haha now you've got me thinking I should have just waded in and wrestled it :P maybe not in the cooks.....

Just keep flicking!

G'day mate,

Good to see you're in the thick of it. But "'tis better to have struck and lost than never to have struck at all", to paraphrase a blogger from yesteryear. I'm still stuck in the work routine and, between that and the fact that I'm a wus for cold weather, I haven't been out for a while. However, I'm going for a week off in September, and the Cooks will be a starting point, for sure. Where do you launch?

G'day mate,

Good to see you're in the thick of it. But "'tis better to have struck and lost than never to have struck at all", to paraphrase a blogger from yesteryear. I'm still stuck in the work routine and, between that and the fact that I'm a wus for cold weather, I haven't been out for a while. However, I'm going for a week off in September, and the Cooks will be a starting point, for sure. Where do you launch?

Definitely! Much better to know I'm doing something right haha. Good to hear form you mate, I havnt done the cooks in the yak yet, time and freezing cold nasty water got in the way :P but if I was going to put in it would be at the princes highway bridge there's a set of big steps that run into the water that would help avoiding the nasty crap on the bottom :) and there's about 6 bridges within paddling distance which I've scouted form land and would love to get a better angle on from the yak. Going to put an anchor trolley in and fit that sounder next week as the current can rip through and I need to see the structure :)