Berowra - Need some tips please !

gzola

Hi fellow raiders,

I need your help!!

Myself and few of the boys from work are planning to harden up and squeeze out a leave pass from the missus, brave the cold and spend a night out camping at Marramarra creek in the near future but the problem is, though some of us have been up that way, none of us have actually been up that far before!

Most of us are keen but inexperienced fishos and we are hoping some of you might be able to shed some light for us so we can catch something other than massive hangover and a cold

A) is the upper Marra near the campsite fresh or saltwater?

B) what species do you target around this time of the year and what techniques, baits or lure should we use?

C) anything else that is worth a shot such as crabs?

D) any known spots that produces?

Btw we are marching down there on foot so it will just be off the banks only.

Thank you all in advance !!! God bless ya all

im gonna say you'd be better off camping at patonga and fishing around there... but thats what I would do... I dont know marramarra at all so cant comment on that.

Hope the trip is successful nonetheless!

reubs

Cheers for the reply Reubs.

Patonga was on our list but we wanted to go somewhere quiet amongst the bush so leaned towards Berowra even though the creek might completely shut down this time of the year.

Well I guess we can still sit around the fire and knock down some rum as a plan B :)

Had a flick at Berowra today. 4 hours for 1 tailor. It's the first time I have fished it and I used a combination if vibes, soft plastics and a jackall transam. There are very nice areas to fish so I'm hoping summer time is more productive as I have heard that it's very tough at winter time. Can anyone confirm that that's the case?

Never heard of this place, just had a look. Looks awesome. I think this time of the year you will find it quite. I would do that trip in summer.

How about St Georges Basin? Thats in Pittwater, you can still do your trek, still a bit bushy. You might be able to catch a little more action there.

I find Berowra a little tricky to fish in winter. But here are some good tips :)

Walk isnt that far at all apparently. Just few kms from the spot you leave your car.

Basin- Im very familiar because my fishing buddy had his boat moored in Pittwater. The fact that place has everything you need sorta put me off. Ah that video, watched it many times actually but I dont think there was tips for upper reaches and more importantly during winter.

Any raiders out there whos playground is in Berowra and knows the place inside out?

Would you be able to get those winter bluenose up that far??

Walk isnt that far at all apparently. Just few kms from the spot you leave your car.

Basin- Im very familiar because my fishing buddy had his boat moored in Pittwater. The fact that place has everything you need sorta put me off. Ah that video, watched it many times actually but I dont think there was tips for upper reaches and more importantly during winter.

Any raiders out there whos playground is in Berowra and knows the place inside out?

Would you be able to get those winter bluenose up that far??

Mate let me tell you from experience. I no the river and especially that part like the back of my hand. Twin beaches which is at the mouth of Murra Murra is a at least 10 km on a boat from Berowra ramp. You walk the shore along each bay and it now becomes a huge walk that would not be very enjoyable.

cheers mate but there is an uncealed road (still ok with 2wd) sort of South West of Marra apparently according to the national park website. From end of the road, it said its an easy 3.5km walk down to the campsite so was planning to come down that way

cheers mate but there is an uncealed road (still ok with 2wd) sort of South West of Marra apparently according to the national park website. From end of the road, it said its an easy 3.5km walk down to the campsite so was planning to come down that way

The gates at the end of canoelands rd are permanently shut. Even if you gained access into the track it is quite a drive and definitely 4x4 territory.

Why not get a water taxi or barge to take you barges start at $110 an hour save you slot of hassles.

Hi mate,

I was going to camp up in the old orchid area of Marra, but it becomes very shallow and tricky to navigate by water. I also think the fishing would be average at this time of year . We ended up camping at gentleman's holt , which is achievable by foot and boat. Its not as far up as marra. How ever Its a bit of a walk in, but would be worth it.. The camp ground is excellent and well maintained with bbqs and it also has a jetty/wharf.

You should be able to wave a boat down the next day and get a lift across the river to spencer and get picked up from there.

Good luck Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Gzola I have camped there a lot the hike is easy to navigate the web site is correct. I have fished there in winter a tiny bit while I was suppose to be working, and pulled in a nice flathead i have seen plenty of bream and flathead caught out of there. On prawns and plastics especially on the incoming tide. In saying this it was about 6 years ago, keep meaning to Yak up there and camp.

• 1 month later...