Running electronics straight from the battery

Ahab

Hello fellow raiders, a little advice please.

I am wiring some cigarette power out lets onto my tinny to run a couple of things but in particular an electric fridge.

Unfortunately the existing wiring is inadequate and I need to run 6mm cable (manufacturers recommended spec). If the fridge has a fuse in the plug and an on /off switch can I simply run a new +ve and -ve from the battery to the power socket without running via a switch panel or separate fuse arrangement? I know that the socket will be energised at all times but does anyone see a problem with this? I could run an in line fuse and switch at a push but not ideal. If i run everything to the switch panel,I need twice the amount of cable to get back to the socket again.

Assistance or advice gratefully received.

Regards

Ahab.

The problem I've found that some cig sockets , over a period of time , either short out or have power seepage , neither are good.

Personally I would not be leaving them constanly active.

In respect to the wireing , the power going to the switch panel should be at least 6mm , therefor you should only need to run 6mm from the pannel to the cig socket .

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks Guys,

The wiring from the battery to the switch panel is only 4 mm (15amp rated wiring) hence my dilemma. It does only run nav lights a sounder and a radio but not big enough to run much more. Some other dodgy wiring including speaker wire to the nav lights and this is a production boat. I was really trying to save additional wiring running up and down the boat but after a sleepness night I decided to do it once and do it right. New circuit with fuse and switch running the two sockets.

Thanks for the advice.

Ahab

• 11 months later...