Launching solo from Shallow rock boat ramp

nickmenai

Hi all,

First time boat owner and needed some advice.

I have a 4.2m fibreglass runabout and I was looking at ways to launch from shallow rock (Grays Point) alone.

Once getting my boat off the trailer, there are only two options I can see, dock it on the sand bank to the left or guide it to the jetty where I can jump on comfortably.

when docking it on the sand back, what is the best way to get on it, do I turn it around facing the water and jump on from the back or do I just climb in from the side?

when guiding it to the jetty, as I wont be in the boat, do I get a rope long enough to guide it whilst walking over the bridge?

I am happy to dock it on the sand and get in that way, but when I eventually start taking the kids and the wife, I don't really want my missus climbing in from the sand bank which is why im enquiring about the jetty.

I am sure I will figure it out, but just wanted some tips from anyone else out there who launches alone from Shallow rock..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi mate, is it possible to drive off the trailer, tie up at pontoon and park your trailer?

I've launched my 4.2 aluminium runabout there using different methods.

I've driven off as above.

I've pushed the boat off the trailer with a long bow line attached to bow and stern (mines 20m long, you can never have too much) and guided it to the pontoon, tied up and parked up.

I've pushed off the trailer and beached the boat beside the ramp using the bowline again, parked up, climbed on board through the open windscreen, lowered engine to shallow drive, then simply back out.

All these methods work for me, without getting wet.

The method I use the most is beaching the boat on the sand.

When you start taking your family, simply drive to the pontoon so they can board after you have parked up your rig.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Mate take a few hours and drive to some boat ramps and see some methods being used first hand, it's what I did and helped a lot!

The old Ski boat I used a bow line with long rope

With the old 4.3 tinny I simply pushed off and beached if possible cause it was so light

the new 5.2 glass boat I have I get in power the motor in forward lean over the bow to undo the straps and chains ( motor in forward holds the boat ) then simple back off.

Trailer set up and depth come into it but you'll pick it up quick and find what best suits you :)

Most boaties are patient when your on your own,

I cant get onto the bow so wouldn't be able to disconnect it from the trailer whilst on it.

Haven't really checked if the motor can be started whilst on the trailer either.

I think my best option is beaching it on the sand, might actually go down there on the weekend and watch how everyone does it.

Thanks for the tips.

"I've pushed the boat off the trailer with a long bow line attached to bow and stern (mines 20m long, you can never have too much) and guided it to the pontoon, tied up and parked up."

I do mine basically the same. I only use the the right hand side of the ramp , ie the one closest to the pontoon walkway.

I have a rope connected to the stern then connect the other end to the walkway railing , as close as possible to the pontoon.

Walk back to the trailer , push the boat off then park the car.

Disconnect the rope fron the rail & pull it into the pontoon.

This works well except if there is a strong Southerly blowing which pushes the boat against the walkway but that is not a problem as I don't go fishing when in those sort of conditions.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

ive used that ramp a lot of times, dont unload your boat and use a rope to walk your boat over the walkway onto the floating wharf as if its windy or its a run in tide your boat can go under the walkway and smash your windscreen as it did one of my boats :ranting2: this was the first time i launched from there

every other time i beach the boat than park the car once back at the boat push it off the beach, start the engine, than climb in and drive over to the wharf to pick anyone up, the beach is shallow but enough to float your boat

go on a weekday if possible for the first time as that ramp gets packed by 8am in summer

Nickmenai... Gazza makes some good points regarding tide & wind.

Don't dismiss the comments I made earlier , it's a matter of making a choice on the day , run out tide & or no wind of concern then use what I suggested.

Run in tide or Southerly wind then the beach is the best option.

Geoff