North Coast Snapper and Monster Black Cod

Guest zanderman

What a great trip you guys had you caugh every thing on the list. That cod is massive and would off taken a lot of effort to bring into the boat good on ya for realising it safely. You got some really nice sized snapper I find the plastics just sitting in the rod holder work quiet well I've caught heaps of king fish while there just sitting in the holder.

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Wow what a trip! That cod is a once in a lifetime fish and great that you released it and got some good pics to keep the memory alive.

And a great pic of the bluefish as well! The colour of them is unreal. I caught one off the stones earlier this year fishing for drummer up the north coast which was a first for me, but I didn't realise they inhabited off shore reefs.

Black Cod are totally protected, so they have to be released and great effort by the guys to do so.

Were you up off Coffs Harbour - there are quite a few of those cod floating around up there, we hooked one near Split Solitary back in the late 80's, I was only 14 then and it was at least 300 pounds - and on a hand line in about 25 metres of water.

I don't think my dad ever recovered - it was hard work up and down up and down.

What do you mean a little trip

Mate that's an awesome trip and any of us raiders would love that experience

There some great fish and to get that beast on board and back to the bottom is great and good to see some dedicated fisherman really caring for big fish like that to make sure it survives

Well done boys, sounds like a great trip

What gear did you get that monster cod on

Cheers thefisherman6784

Nice! Good on you for the release of the cod, hopefully it'll survive. Now, with a pierced swim bladder, if the cod swims a few meters below the surface it will never reappear even if it dies, buoyancy of a fish with no bladder is not the greatest and after 3 or 4 meters the inversion would do its effect I assume, any dead fish would never resurface!

Whatever, it sounds like an epic adventure you lived, good on you! ;)

Guest zanderman

Nice! Good on you for the release of the cod, hopefully it'll survive. Now, with a pierced swim bladder, if the cod swims a few meters below the surface it will never reappear even if it dies, buoyancy of a fish with no bladder is not the greatest and after 3 or 4 meters the inversion would do its effect I assume, any dead fish would never resurface!

Whatever, it sounds like an epic adventure you lived, good on you! ;)

Tom,

We did not pierce the swim bladder, it was not out of the mouth like you would normally sea with a jew... As much as I do hope it survived, it is not like we were targeting this fish, and we did try everything we could do.

What do you mean a little trip

Mate that's an awesome trip and any of us raiders would love that experience

There some great fish and to get that beast on board and back to the bottom is great and good to see some dedicated fisherman really caring for big fish like that to make sure it survives

Well done boys, sounds like a great trip

What gear did you get that monster cod on

Cheers thefisherman6784

we caught the big boy on and overhead loaded with 40lb braid and 50lb leader 4/0 hook with a slice of tailor.

I am still amazed.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic fishing there. Well done on looking after the fish. I thought the Bluefish had gone AWOL from the East coast except for Lord Howe. Its great to see that they are still hanging in there. I would have thought NSW fisheries would have established a captive breeding program for them, or found another way to boost their numbers.

Either way, they are a magnificent fish.

The Poacher

Guest zanderman

That's an amazing catch and two threatened species to boot shows how well our fisheries are recovering love the colours of the bluefish what did it measure unsure if there's a fishraider record for it?

Hey Mate,

We didn't put a measure on it. just a quick snap and release. You could probably estimate from the hand size? each finger is probably about 10mm or so.

I wasn't the one that caught that fish so couldn't submit for the record anyway!

I will start to measure fish for this reason!