Sydney Harbour- Kingfish, Salmon, Trevally and Squid

Sydneyfisher12

G'day raiders

Today I fished the harbour with the fisherman6784 and what a great day it was

We arrived at Drummoyne boat ramp and 8:30 and headed for the heads we got to south head and there was a pretty big swell and we knew some wind was going to come up later so we made the decision to fish inside the harbour

We arrived at sow and pigs there were no boats there when we arrived we anchored on the south side of the reef but the wind was blowing us side on to the reef but we said its ok

The fisherman6784 started out by flicking a 3inch minnow around and got a little hit when he brought it in there was a squid following it I quickly tied on a yamashita 2.2 in brown and white and got him it was a perfect live bait size

We caught about 20 trevs mostly 29-30cm which were released the fisherman6784 got two nice ones over 31cm and I go a nice 33cm one on 6wt fly then a small patch of rain came through and the wind changed direction so we anchored on the north side of the reef now

To start off we got 3 pike which were all let go and then out the back I see what looks like a squid I cast my squid jig right on top of it and it's hits it I'm on and then off I though it's gone away for sure and then drag starts coming off my reel I'm on I knew It was a big squid from the start but it got bigger as the fight went on it took a lot of line and with 6lb leader I had to be very careful I soon noticed that it was a monster and only hooked by one of the smaller tentacles we tried to get it into the net and on the third go it was in the net and a big black pool of water surrounded us and it was massive bigger than any squid I've ever caught it went 34cm hood which is weird I though it would go way bigger and 90cm from the tip of the good to the tip of the candles I estimated it at 1.5kg and my dad and thefisherman6784 agreed the. After this another black blob showed up at the back of the boat in gave my rod to thefisherman6784and he was on it took a big run and it was all over id say it was the same size as it took the same massive run. After this mayhem the fish went off the bits and we made a move

We fished deep of watsons bay next we arrived and for about 1/2 and hour we got nothing we got a few pinkies and a small trev and then I see these marks on the sounder up near the top going up to 1m and then down to 10m then the fisherman6784 say KINGIES I quickly get my unweighted rod with a 6lb leader 6lb braid and a size four hook put a pillie cube on and within seconds line is screaming off my 2500 seinna I'm onto a kingy it takes about 5 minutes to bring in after some massive runs and then into the net when I first hooked him there was two and hooked the bigger one and it only went 57cm still great fun it had another line and hook in it some unlucky person had been busted off I think it was a failed knot because there was a swivel and no line above.

After that I saw the other kingy a few times so I decided to set down the small squid I caught a sow and pigs and in five minutes we got a good take but didn't convert it to a hook up we caught a few yakkas and my dad was bringing one up and it was almost smashed by a kingy it stayed around for a while but we had and tangle on most of the lines so it swam away

It then went quiet so we moved again the fisherman6784 had spotted some birds sitting on the water about 50m away in the next bay called parsley bay we motored oven with plastics i had a yakka colour one on a light jig head about 3inch and the fisherman6784 had a smaller but still 3inch minnow on a 1/8th head we drifted over were the bird were and two flicks and the fisherman6784 was on we though either a kingy or a salmon it was a kingy and nice one to it went 60cm we did a few more drift but we got nothing

We decided to downrig some of the yakkas we caught earlier I saw some swirls on the surface so I headed straight over and the line was pulled out of the clip and the yakka was taken but we didn't hook up another one down over the same spot and we were on we were calling it for a kingy but it turned out to be a salmon with another salmon and kingy following it we didn't hook up the followers but we did get a nice 55cm salmon we downrigged for another 20mins butt he fish had gone off the bite

After a great day we headed home

There wasn't much rain as forecasted we even got warned by maritime about the rain but we hardly got wet all day

BIG squid

post-33466-0-69734300-1408177148_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-07151600-1408177223_thumb.jpg

Pike

post-33466-0-09375900-1408177274_thumb.jpg

Thefisherman6784's kingfishpost-33466-0-83973700-1408177325_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-89132400-1408177421_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-17921700-1408177471_thumb.jpg

My kingfish post-33466-0-05592100-1408177519_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-12821300-1408177566_thumb.jpg

The total catch post-33466-0-41048800-1408177640_thumb.jpg

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Edited by Sydneyfisher12

Great effort guys you worked hard as usual and produced great results. I'm glad to hear the weather held up for you guys, I got rained on today at 11am so me and dad went home with a small feed of flounder and one just legal snapper.

Those squid are massive and I'm sure will make a great calamari dish, there's a YouTube video I saw on thehookandthecook on how to prepare a nice chilli basil calamari so if your into that type of food give it a go ! (And let me know if it tastes any good!)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2r3k4jfRSU

Just remembered I got this trevally on sow and pigs I think it's deformed or something had a go at it

de3ene4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tail was just deformed

I remember looking closely at it and 100% nothing has hit it

Just an under grown tail for a fish that size

That's why it didn't go hard

But of course, I could be wrong

Nice effort mate, I was wanting to head outside yesterday as well but the dark clouds and swell made me change my mind too. had a big king follow a little snapper up that I caught but he wasn't interested in the livie I had out. Ended up with a feed but nothing spectacular, though I stuck to middle harbour the north head, sounds like I should have ventured into the main harbour :)

Great report and well done spotting the kings on the sounder

Sounds like a cracker of a day.

Thanks fragmeister it was a great day the marks I saw were really weird nothing like I've seen before

Great report. Don't be afraid to throw old mate Mr Pike on as a livey next time. They are a gun live bait.

thanks mate will put him out as a livey next time

Sounds like you boys had a great day even if the weather was a bit threatening !

Solid fight on a kingy with 2500 reel.

Keep smashing it guys :)

thanks was really fun on bream gear the whether never can threaten me I'm a all wether fisho

Good work fellas

thanks mate

great report guys :)

thanks crazy col

Nice effort mate, I was wanting to head outside yesterday as well but the dark clouds and swell made me change my mind too. had a big king follow a little snapper up that I caught but he wasn't interested in the livie I had out. Ended up with a feed but nothing spectacular, though I stuck to middle harbour the north head, sounds like I should have ventured into the main harbour :)

next time a king comes up like that just use a little pillie cube on some light line that's all that will get them even any weight will scare them away

Nice day on the water and good feed

thanks mate it tasted great

Great report guys well done

Great report guys well done

thanks Damian

Good job guys.. Sounds like a fun session.

thanks formosan

Well done lads. :047:

Cheers,

Grant.

thanks Jew hunter

Great report

thanks stash

Great report fellas and thanks for all the detail. It was a great read.

thanks oceaner I enjoy putting detail in my posts to help people