Advice on Port hacking winter whiting

JET01

During the warmer months I was having a lot of success pumping nippers in sans souci then heading home to the hacking and pulling a few off the flats of my local bay on 3lb flouro and long shank hooks.

I know the lure fishos normally wait for the warmer months to target whiting on the flats, but I was wondering if the whiting take nippers all year round? Are they even around this time of year?

The tides look favourable for my favourite spot next weekend.

I don't have a kayak anymore so has to be land based for the next few years.

Only fish for whiting with nippers, tried lures a couple of times for nothing.

Whiting can be caught all year round, less in winter, and they do move around. Have caught some one week, the next week not a one.

Only fish for whiting with nippers, tried lures a couple of times for nothing.

Whiting can be caught all year round, less in winter, and they do move around. Have caught some one week, the next week not a one.

Thanks for that.

So do they still get up on the edges of the flats or should I go for the deeper water.

In the warmer months I try to avoid the deeper water with nippers because I always seem to get hammered by the little reddies.

Edited by JET01

We get our bigger whiting in winter in deeper water I rarely fish bait so cant comment on that but my favourite winter whiting lure is a 35mm strike pro cyber vibe in colour 1460B Also from memory best winter whiting come in the afternoons/evenings in the week leading up to a full moon

Iceman is spot on. I will share a secret with you, when I was a teenager a couple of decades ago, i would catch big winter whiting around moored boats to the north of the Royal Moter Yacht club. I am sure they are more widespread but I knew I could get them there so that was where I went.

Fished some flats on the hacking Sunday arvo on the rising tide in knee deep water.

Live nippers and 3lb Fc sniper.

No whiting around.

Caught 6 legal bream biggest probably going 30cm (left my alvey ruler on my mates boat the day before), all released to fight another day. If they were whiting it would've been dinner time!