New Baitcaster Reel

antonywardle

HI

I got a free baitcaster reel when I subscribed to a fishing magazine

Its a Shimano Zeles 200

What rod to I put it on and what line goes on it?

I think I've only used a baitcaster once and it involved

one cast and a huge birds nest about 5 seconds later

cheers

Bait casters require an overhead rod say around 6'6" with a pistal type grip suitable for flicking. It would be best to visit a large tackle store to check out the range.

As for the line , I suggest a good quality mono in the 3 - 4kg range.

The trick with baitcasters is to get the thumb action correct to prevent birds nest. This takes a fair amount of practice.

Suggest a small sinker then go to an open area when no one else is around & practice.

The spec says it has VBS cast control , whatever that means

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks Geoff

I'll have a look around and will definitely practice. I bet I get it tangled just dropping it over the side of the boat!

I saw that the reel rrp was $99 while the mag subscription was $79 so I guess I'm

winning ;-)

VBS sounds like it will be a pice of cake for me to use!

How do I use the VBS (Variable Break System) feature of my Shimano Baitcasting reel?
VBS is designed to slow the spool down as your lure looses momentum after casting. The VBS systems acts as a centrifugal break using the distribution of weight to create drag on the spool. This feature is designed to help prevent backlashes with your reel.

The VBS system is located on one side of your spool (This varies depending on the retrieve orientation of the reel; example right hand retrieve or left hand retrieve) There are plastic break weights located on VBS side of the spool, these break weights are capable of being turned on or off. If you move the break weight toward the axis of the spool (The center) or into the off position the break weight will have less influence on the slowing of the spool. If you move the break weight outward or into the on position it will cause the break weights to have more influence on the slowing of the spool. You can use any number (up to six, the number of break weights also varies depending on the reel) of break weights, in any configuration to obtain an optimal spool response.

I got the caius 200 which is almost identical to the zeles, that vbs is great, magnetic dial up for cast control, as you get started have it on max with the spool tensioner set to just let the lure fall when in free spool. The magnets really help, they cut your cast distance but as you get better with the thumb you dial them down and get a great distance :)

I paired mine with a 2-4kg Trion, normally don't like the soft taper but for bait casting it let's the rod load up better for a progressive cast which helps eliminate those evil back lashes. Check out some vids on removing back lashes they helped a lot

yeh I got the same one. Ive had plenty of spinning reels but never a baitcaster. It's rated to 5kg of drag.

I read they're not great for ultra light lures. What sort of lure weights do people use with a set up like that?

I'm prob going to spool it with some leftover 15 lb powerpro briad.

What sort of fish would I target with it in Syd.

Sorry if I hijacked the tread but it's kinda on topic.

yeh I got the same one. Ive had plenty of spinning reels but never a baitcaster. It's rated to 5kg of drag.

I read they're not great for ultra light lures. What sort of lure weights do people use with a set up like that?

I'm prob going to spool it with some leftover 15 lb powerpro briad.

What sort of fish would I target with it in Syd.

Sorry if I hijacked the tread but it's kinda on topic.

Yeah the lower end bait caster's suffer with light weights (my experience ) usually I chuck plastics for flatties etc with mine, so anything over a 1/8th head usually throws pretty well. Flatties, jew, bass would be a few. I like it for the accurate casting in around structure

I saw that the reel rrp was $99 while the mag subscription was $79 so I guess I'm

winning ;-)

I subscribe to the same mag , a good publication & each year , around this time, Sept / Oct they offer a reel & or a rod for $10 which covers handeling & freight.

Over the years I've picked up about 6 or 7 reels or rods all good quality gear.

I missed this one as I took out a 2 year subscription last year to pick up the the rod & reel combo.

Also , tks for the info on the VBS system.

Geoff

I called on my way home to a shop and was looking out for a rod

I found a Jarvis Walker for $30

Its a series IV Tuff Tip 5' 6'' Bait Cast.

Felt quite good. Says 4-8 kg. What does that mean?

Would this be ok for my baitcaster reel?

I noticed that the eyes were on the opposite side to the

grip bit, and opposite to some of the other models.

Any idea why this would be the case?

Jarvis Walker Tuff Tip Rods

Jarvis Walker's premium rod range has a hot new look for 2010 and still feature clear solid tips, quality guides, under and over bindings, cushioned reel seats and EVA grips. Carbon has been integrated into the design of all baitcast, spin and estuary models for added sensitivity.

Model: Tuff Tip - CT 5601 OHM Code: 11530 Barcode: 9312327804553 Product Style: Baitcast Rods Length(imperial): 5'6" Length(metric): 1.70m Pieces: 1/P Rating: 4-8kg Casting weight(g): 14-56g Blank: Clear solid tip Guides: Under-bound Edited by antonywardle

Bait caster rods face the eyes up, as opposed to spin rods.

4-8kg is the line weight the rod is suited for. Treat it as a guide for the size of the fish you want to chase with it, but it's not an absolute limit or anything like that. Lighter rods will be more sensitive, heavier rods have more power for larger or more powerful fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4-8kg is the weight of line the rod will take without breaking that said you only really want to run 1/3rd of the breaking strain of the line so a kg or 2 over won't snap your rod. The heavier the line weight the more power you have got but with a lighter rod you get more finesse to move a lure slowly and give it a real twitching action also with a lighter rod you can cast much lighter lures longer distance but really heavy lures will be hard to cast so it really depends on what your going for as a target species. The rod you got only being 5' 6" will be hard to cast lures but will be fine for bait fishing straight down off a boat. If you want to cast lures I suggest a longer rod

The guides on a bait caster rod will be on the opposite side to the spin reels like in the photo

post-33466-0-08337600-1409217479_thumb.jpgpost-33466-0-15388500-1409217489_thumb.jpg

Cheers sydneyfisher12

I've got a pflueger bait cast combo my self and have had it since I was 6 believe it or not

I have just about mastered casting with it but it's not a lure flicking rod. I'm pretty sure it a 4-8 kg rod spooled with 15lb power pro braid and I have caught for live bait such as yakkas with unwieghted tiny pilli pieces to kingys on the harbour

It's a great all round (mainly bait rod) but I have jigged with it and it is nice and light but not to easy with the profile the reel is in but now I have a gomoku jig rod so don't use the overhead for jigging but use it for other things

There great to learn because there a challenge but great fun using them

Hope this helps

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk