New reel, no idea what to do

Tag117

Hey Raiders,

I was lucky enough to receive the Penn Spinfisher Live Liner SSV (8500) for my last birthday! I finish my HSC in November and plan to do a whole lot of fishing these summer holidays, hopefully for kings and other pelagics. However, i haven't really targeted these fish before and am unsure of their fighting capabilities. I went to my local tackle store and the bloke there said i shouldnt go under 50lb braid but to me that seems a bit excessive!

Any advice would be much appreciated as i really am not sure of what weight line i need.

Thanks in advance,

Tag

I agree with him, but it depends on where you are fishing from and what type of fishing you are doing, for example if you are landbased the thicker line diameter will seriously limit your casting distance. If you just want to catch salmon, bonito and maybe the odd king I would go 30lb. If you are jigging or live baiting on a boat for some serious hoodlums then 50lb minimum for sure, even up to 80lb.

Hi Mate iv got 3 of the PENN spinfishers and they perform well.

You ask a good question but to answer that u need to ask more questions?

Are you land based or boat fishing. I would say 50lb off the boat is too much. 95% of the fish you catch won't be able to peel off drag on the 8500 loaded with 50lb, don't forget u don't wana take the fun out of fishing !

Iv been land based fishing with 30lb line and that worked fine. The 8500 is a big machine I think it's the second biggest under the 9500.

I would recommend 30 pound like for your general fishing and beef up your leader if your targeting the larger pelagics

I have the new penn spin fisher v 7500 and a older 9500 witch is huge I wouldn't call it a reel I'd call it a winch the 7500 I have 80lb on for live baiting kings off a boat. If your going to use live bait or big baits and go for that 1m+ king go minimum on that reel 50lb and even 80lb there no real need to go past that. If your going to chase big kings off the rocks same 50lb min but if your chasing rats 70cm and under and other pelagics like salmon and bonito go 50lb and under the reel you have got is big and with 30lb on that size of reel you would be using a big reel on a big rod not designed for light line that reel is designed to pull in big fish not pelagics like salmon that's more for a reel like a 3000-4000 size with 15lb

I really need to know more to really help you out

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Thanks for all the help! I've been land-based all my life, but my families recent acquisition of a boat has opened up a whole new world :P Hence the bigger reel! I already have a smaller, older model spinfisher spooled with 25lb line, so will probably go 50lb on this one.

Appreciate the help,

Tag

Guest Aussie007

In the past I have used 45lb mono tied to 100lb leader using hoodlem hooks overhead pen matched with a 15kg roller rod the leader has come up looking like noodles and bending the hook on 80cm kings

I have also baited live yakkas on a 6lb mono line 20lb leader 2kg rod small sienna shimano reel pulled up 55cm rats along with 50cm salmon,great fun and gets really exciting as the rod almost snaps before the main line lol

I've used braid a lot over a few years but it always knots and tangles so I no longer use it

Hey Raiders,

I was lucky enough to receive the Penn Spinfisher Live Liner SSV (8500) for my last birthday! I finish my HSC in November and plan to do a whole lot of fishing these summer holidays, hopefully for kings and other pelagics. However, i haven't really targeted these fish before and am unsure of their fighting capabilities. I went to my local tackle store and the bloke there said i shouldnt go under 50lb braid but to me that seems a bit excessive!

Any advice would be much appreciated as i really am not sure of what weight line i need.

Thanks in advance,

Tag

I agree with the heavier line too.

The heavy line is not because of the weight of the fish but the need to turn these guys around and keep them out of the structure.

On the surface in schools they are a little easier to contend with but off the rocks or around structure the fight dirty and you need to beef up the line and wind up the drag.

I can't tell you how many 10kg plus fish I lost before I took the same advice.

Cheers

Jim