Kona Blues

boattart

Just got back last Friday night from Kona fishing for Blues were I managed to tag my 2 biggest Blues yet. First fish happened to be our first of the trip on day 2 at around 600lb a stubborn fish that was far from camera friendly so no good shots worth posting. After missing a couple of bites on day 3 we got an early smaller fish on the 4th day and a missed a bite around lunch but around 3 o'clock in the afternoon the long corner got nailed big time. A sidewise bite from the inside out head and shoulders out of the water with a tail following well behind. This one was determined to get his head on film and almost in the back of the boat as he circled wide and then charged back around the front of the boat. But with some great boat driving and hard work by the deckhand on the trace and about 40 minutes with 40lb of drag and we had him at the boat at over 700lb my biggest yet. Over the next couple of days we raised a few more smaller fish with 2 more successfully tagged. The attached photos were taken by deckhand Ryan while fighting and the Captain while the fish was on the trace.

post-12518-0-65104400-1409537247_thumb.jpgpost-12518-0-12176600-1409537266_thumb.jpgpost-12518-0-46736000-1409537281_thumb.jpg

Good to see you had a good trip, and got something. Did you buy any lures there and was the tackle shops cheap.

Thanks Chocolate, I did buy a few things there but not as much as I expected to. Prices wise some stuff was quite cheap particularly terminal tackle and the smaller items they go through lots of but lure wise is similar to what you can order online these days. 2 well stocked shops but really specific gear targeted for their style of fishing.

Thanks Chocolate, I did buy a few things there but not as much as I expected to. Prices wise some stuff was quite cheap particularly terminal tackle and the smaller items they go through lots of but lure wise is similar to what you can order online these days. 2 well stocked shops but really specific gear targeted for their style of fishing.

Yeh one place I would like to get to, and fish and buy some lures.

Edited by chocolate

Love Kona, great town. Nothing like hooking up big gamefish within a couple km's of shore!

On our second last day we left the mooring at 6.52am and were hooked up and eventually tagged a small Blue in 500 meters of water by 7.15am. On the last day it was a bit slow. 7.00 departure and 8.20am before we tagged one but then again it was our third bite for the morning after not hooking up the first 2.

On our second last day we left the mooring at 6.52am and were hooked up and eventually tagged a small Blue in 500 meters of water by 7.15am. On the last day it was a bit slow. 7.00 departure and 8.20am before we tagged one but then again it was our third bite for the morning after not hooking up the first 2.

I've fished there a couple times over the years. Tagged a Blue (not near size yours), and kept a stack of 10-20kg YFT and numerous Dollies. Love the laid back chill of the town and the big island. About due for another trip :)