Squidding wharf pylons at my feet?

chokpa

Has anyone tried to just drop a jig straight down the pylons they're standing on to catch squid? Can they live on a pylon? I've read they prefer sandy areas.

Was walking around one today and noticed how much kelp is around there, not sure if the action of the jig would be very good just going up and down though

Do it all the time, they are sometimes around the pylons deeper down. Generally though I cast out and wind with the rod tip down to try and pull it through the area rather than straight vertical jigging.

Yeah same, every half a dozen casts or so i'll usually do a couple of almost vertical jigs before then casting back out..All about covering all areas till you see where they are hanging.

Ive picked up a nice occy off a pylon like that but that was sight fishing haha.

Have lured a couple big squid from under a wharf but they didnt take the lure

Had a go the other night with the pylons, nothing. I think it needs to be high tide, I was right in the middle of low and high when I tried.

I've picked a number of squid (and cuttlefish for that matter) using vertical jigging along the wharves. There are often baitfish hiding in the shelter of the pylons and that is what the squid are probably after. When on a wharf I'll jig up and down a few times and then shift a meter or two and repeat. Alternatively I cast parallel to the edge of the wharf to cover more ground quickly. Don't forget that squid are a pretty mobile creature so catching one could be the difference between being there at the right time or getting there 15 minutes later. Put the time in and you will catch them this way.

Has anyone tried to just drop a jig straight down the pylons they're standing on to catch squid? Can they live on a pylon? I've read they prefer sandy areas.

Was walking around one today and noticed how much kelp is around there, not sure if the action of the jig would be very good just going up and down though

I've seen people do this and it does work. However as most people have mentioned, squid move around and you need to find them.

The best method for this is cast and retrieve. This way you can cover more area as you only want to cast in 1 area a few times and move on. The technique is like Flathead fishing, 1 or 2 big jerks, let it sink and hit the bottom, wind up the slack and repeat this process. The reason for the big jerk up, is because the squid takes the jig on the drop, so you want to give it more time to drop.

The equipment you need is a 2-4kg rod with a small reel, 10lb braid tied directly to your trace (I use a double uni knot), 10lb trace should be at least 50cm long, loop knot at the end to your jig. At night my go to jig would be a 2.5 White glow Yamashita jig, Orange and Pink also work well. Good luck buddy.