FINS ON OUTBOARD

There is a real issue from memory if your out in a sea. Also when turning they can suddenly grip in a way that is frightening.

I remember a discussion quite a few years ago on an Australian boating forum I was on, and the consensus amongst the experienced boaters was no. Those of us that had them had all experienced a frightening event. I removed mine after that as I had personal experience

I am a mechanic/service manager etc prior to my current business, my honest opinion, is if they worked that well, then the outboard manufacturers would design larger fins on their outboards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What size boat, what size motor.......maybe Huey is your best advice.

The biggest thing I found in small boats and outboards is weight distribution. Way too much weight is at the rear of the boat. Move the batteries forward, fuel tank anything you can. On my 540 sig I actually put a 70l water bladder in the forward cab, I also made sure all bags, spare equipment etc went in the cab.

In my Nautiglass 150 with a 55 hp 2cyl 1977 outboard with a skier on the back! I used to circle the skier first so I was on the plane before the load took up!

But weight is the big killer. My current is a 94 Searay 330 with twin 7.4l of Chev beast power driving Volvo Duo props......so no slouch believe me. Last year we went out on our 2nd tuna trip, I had 760l of fuel, 160l of water, plus gear and 5 guys on board. 3 of the guys were leaning against the stern chatting, I had just logged on, so accelerated to get us on our way, dead calm glassed out sea, and the boat just bogged down and sounded like shit, I backed off, tried again, same thing, backed off tried again, same same.

I started to think we weren't going anywhere, thought I had spat a prop bush.

Then said, guys, can you all come up to the helm, vroom away we went, then they were free to wander on the boat wherever they wanted

I'm a fan. Won't own a boat without one. Boat sits higher, flatter, plains easier and at lower speeds. I run a 115hp on my 16ft so lack of power isn't an issue and it loves the permatrim. Have 2 mates with the same boat and the one with a hydrofoil seems to run just that little bit better out at sea. Tried to run my 22 foot without it when I got the new etec and it didn't like it either.

I've used hydrofoil and permatrim and both did the job fine. Will definately get you out of the hole faster in my opinion . My 2 cents.

dont go a wing version ive also had a scary moment cornering at speed on a past boat, use a permatrim type if you have to go down this path

polycrafts are heavy hulls and 50 is the max so not much you can do there
can only look at engine height and props

talk to solas props and see what they say, very helpful people

they wil want to know what revs you are pulling and current prop size fitted

Stewy's boat is propped to achieve good WOT RPM and mate if you are going to fit anything then the Permatrim is the only one to fit, they work like a big trim tab and allow the boat to plane better and stay on the plane at lower RPM. They work well on Poly's like guys have said due to being heavy little boats and they tend to stay "sucked" to the water.

Cheers,

Huey.

Stewy. As previously mentioned , have a word to Solas & also review the weight distribution. I agree with Huey , Permatrim are the best but also the most expensive.

The SE sport 300 is a less expensive option.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

i would rather go with automatic trim tabs over a hydrofoil, the hydrofoil will only balance out the boat from tip to toe, from what ive seen with the trim tabs they'll do the same plus stablize the boat side to side as they are independant so if u have a few mates on board and one is a vegitarian and the other bloke loves pizza the boat will equalize from side to side

ive read some nasty experiences from hydrofoil owners online some hair raising

swordy if u do go with a hydrofoil buy one that doesnt bolt on as drilling holes into the gearbox just to mount a hydrofoil looks a bit nasty when u come to sell the boat

Guest Aussie007

the trim tabs are probably cheaper than the hydrofoils your looking at depending where u buy them, automatic just means u pick the size for your boat and they work automatically

i just picked the first trim tabs that came up in google search and this is what they say i wont mention any brand names u can do the looking around :D

With the ***, you can plane at lower speeds, improve your hole shot, reduce engine laboring, improve fuel efficiency and eliminate porpoising. The **** reacts instantly to boat speed and water pressure by adding trim when it’s needed. You get a better ride while the *** does all the work.

Edited by gazza

Guest Aussie007

TIH, while under full throttle or up on a plane the boat suddenly tips to one side, have heard of people being tossed around on board i guess using your lanyard would help stop the engine in a case like this

i cant remember which brand of hydrofoil it was

TIH, while under full throttle or up on a plane the boat suddenly tips to one side, have heard of people being tossed around on board i guess using your lanyard would help stop the engine in a case like this

i cant remember which brand of hydrofoil it was

We had a discussion on a forum I was on a few years back. The two issues reported, was a sudden unexpected grip under a turn, which I experienced.

The other was particularly when caught in a swell and coming down a wave.

Guest Aussie007

Stu they are actually hydraulic or electric, i call the hydraulic ones auto because once there on they automatically adjust by them selfs with the pressure as the boat moves forward faster, the only down side is reversing but i dont think that should be a problem in your little boat your not backing up on 150cm jews in the georges river at 30 knots :mfr_lol:

trim tabs will be going onto the boat im building im chosing them over a hydrofoil because i dont want to drill any holes in the gearbox and the problems they can cause plus they just look like a poor mans fix to a unbalanced boat, of course they will do as designed tho

maybe ask huey for advice? he works with all kinds of boat im sure hes seen and rode everything possible so he'd have a lot of knowledge on this topic

the hydraulic trim taps are cheaper than a hydrofoil but electric trim tabs are just a little more than the hydrofoil in cost

Hi I think gazza is talking about smart tabs look them up www.nauticusinc.com or you can fit SLT TABS from www.bennetttrimtabs.com.

Only problem is they will have constant drag in the water,they have a certain amount of resitance built into them.

I have recently fitted bennett m120 tabs to my boat which are hydraulic probably over kill on your boat but it has made my boat a totaly different boat .& before any 1 says about checking motor height (bit hard to change when the motor is a inboard)those SMART or SLT self LEVELING tabs are cheap and will get you on the plane faster

post-17518-0-48077000-1410725317_thumb.jpg

Hi Stewy, if you go down the path of trim tabs or smart tabs you will need to make sure the transom area is dead flat-any ripples and the tabs can stick. They can be added if when you run a straight edge there is no gaps but they cost more than Permatrims, but hydraulic trim tabs are the best if you want to spend that sort of money. You can not only adjust for bow up and down attitude, but listing too.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is off topic or if it is related.

I have a real steering problem with my Stabicraft plate boat.

At low speed when docking or manuvering the boat is all over the place.

The helm answers well after I turn the wheel and generally I have to over correct it several times to get the damn thing to go where I want it.

I noticed some of you refer to wings as making steering behave differently.

Could some sort of fin ...or something help me to better steer my wandering boat?

Cheers

Hi Stewy,

As a potential future Polyboat owner (looking at the 4.5 Frontrunner with 60HP 4 stroke) can I ask how much those trim tabs cost, not looking for specific sellers (at this stage) just a ball park figure and whether you sourced locally or OS. Also were they a simple home installation or needed to be professionally fitted?

Thanks

Marty

Hi Stewy, As a potential future Polyboat owner (looking at the 4.5 Frontrunner with 60HP 4 stroke) can I ask how much those trim tabs cost, not looking for specific sellers (at this stage) just a ball park figure and whether you sourced locally or OS. Also were they a simple home installation or needed to be professionally fitted? Thanks Marty

Hi Marty,

Around 250 buxs and if I can install them anyone can and they were locally sourced.

N.B I did have to buy two stainless L brackets as the fit were over the top of a ridge...$2.40 each