Parasites?

Holls

Caught a few tailor yesterday in Burrill Lake, mostly little choppers but kept one at 40cm for the table. But when I brought it up to the house, I noticed it had two "parasites" on it, one attached to each pectoral fin. They looked like mudeyes in shape color and were easily rubbed off. But what are they? Anyone seen these before?

Guest Aussie007

i think from memory they eat the fishes tounge and become its new tonge they call them the doctor lol

have caught a fair few yakkas and once killed thry crawl out of the yakkas mouths

Have caught a few tailor over the years, with the parasites on the pectoral fins.

Nothing to worry about, does not affect the taste, just pull them off and kill them by squashing it's head.

I flushed em down the sink! lol

Going down to Ulladulla today, might see if I can get onto the Taylor. Love to smoke them.

Where in the lake where they? (or is that a secret)

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Paikea, I just put on my waders and waded out on SW side of Kings Point (off Kings Point Drive, out the front of our new house.) As the sun is setting. Heaps of strikes on a small Wonder Wobbler, nothing flash. Saw at least one good sized tailor jump right out of the water. Something bigger chasing it do you think? A local said he has only ever seen two jewies caught in the lake. (Gotta go back to Melb - my new novel is to be launched - but back for a long time towards the end of Oct.) Should meet up some time. Robert