135 merc flooding

Busy-livin

Hey guys

I recently purchased a boat and it has a 95 model 135 hp merc on the back and it's having some issues so I'm after some feedback.

First off On the maiden trip attempt I backed down the ramp and went to start the motor to drive off the trailer and she wouldn't start.. After five mins ( ramp was dead) I pulled it out to take the cowling off to check it out and noticed as I drove out there was a massive trail of fuel behind me , proceeded to Take the cowl off and fuel was coming straight out the carbies ! Phoned the dealer and I took it back that arvo and a few days later came back to pick it up with the verdict the needle and seat behind the carbie needed adjustment! So I thought that was it

This afternoon on maiden trip attempt two I put in at oatley bay in the georges and it started after a few turns of the key but it was cold so expected for that motor! Parked the car and off I went up the river and she ran like a dream I couldn't believe how well it was pushing the boat along , anyway I got to capt cook bridge to drift so I turned it off then back on to see if it would kick and it was fine. 20 mins later I try to start and it wouldn't fire up at all! Took me a good ten mins to try start it and I could smell the fuel so it so still flooding itself every time to the point I pull the line off and drain the fuel .

Once the needle and seat have been adjusted can there be more tweaking to try sort this problem out???? Or may there be more to the issue? After some feedback for myself

I'll be ringing the dealer in the morning to see what they can do. They have been fantastic to deal with.

Sorry for dribbling on!

Cheers jake

I'm not aware of a needle & seat adjustment , normally it's a float leval adjustment which controls the needle movement.

If the float level is correct & it's still leaking fuel then the needle & seat either need cleaning or replacing.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

that is pretty cheap of the dealer to just "adjust the float" u may need to replace the needle and seat plus the float and possible the float pin as the float can bind, i would overhaul the carbies while your at it just to be safe but dont get the shop u bought it from to do the work go see huey so u know its done properly and they dont skimp on parts and say its been fixed

If it's got some warranty, take it back to the dealer.

Otherwise see Huey or another reputable mechanic that has experience in the Mercury brand.

Make sure you have a clean fuel filter and tank.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Ahh right so a float may need adjustment, float allowes fuel flow past the needles to the carbies? I just had a major service done also so it shouldn't be doing this

I'm also thinking with the key primer I was pushing in to start once warm. This may come into account with the problem. If I can't sort it out in a week or two I'll be taking to Huey to have a hunt around. it needs a big run so I'll take it out on the weekend for a day trip.

Guest Aussie007

i cant remember how i started my mercury but i dont think u push and hold the key in while turning that primes the fuel thats probably why your seeing all the fuel coming out the carbs

u turn the key and bump it in for a second

Yes I've been doing web searches and many are saying that primer is only when cold ,so it seems like operator error ! Whoops ! my older merc on a Haines ski boat would only start with the primer and I was starting this one like I would the old boat..

Seems I need to get out and get used to the way she goes

Thanks gazza, fab1 and Geoff I'll keep monitoring it and do some testing

Cheers

I've had this same problem. I have a yamaha 2 stroke outboard.

The trick on mine is to push the key in for about 10 seconds. This gets the air/fuel mixture right.

After that turn the key. If that doesn't work, turn the key while revving up using the fast idle.

Hi, every brand works differently and IF on a V6 Merc you do the above it will pump alot of fuel due to the choke system is a fuel injection system. On the Yamaha(guessing the HP) it is different and closes the choke butterfly over the carby venturi so does not matter how many times you do it or for how long. Do not use the above system with a Merc like you have because everytime you push the key in and hold it in you are introducing more fuel and will flood the thing.

Cheers,

Huey.