A succesful day on the Hawkebury

seasponge

My wife and i took the kids out on the boat yesterday. A last minute decision - it was too good a day to miss out on. We dropped in at Deerubbin Boat Ramp and headed up to Spencer. We had a go fishing just downstream of Spencer, but the tide was flowing too quick. We got there about midday, with low tide expected at 3pm. Decided to put a halt on the fishing for a bit and headed to Spencer for a hamburger and milkshakes. After a good stop, we headed back to where we had been fishing just downstream. We anchored up and the 4 of us were fishing using prawns, parmesan chicken thigh and squidgees. Tide was still running fast, but were prepared to wait it out until conditions changed. Eventually it did and we started to get a few.

My son got a nice legal bream, which went back in to grow bigger for next time. My daughter got a small yellowtail, and there was a catfish. Then I started reeling in a heavy line. No fight, just a heavy weight. At first I thought it was another catfish, but it was definately too heavy for that. The I started thinking a bigger lazy flathead. Then it came to the surface and it was the biggest bream I've seen! It finally did a couple of runs when it got to the surface. I was only fishing lite so was paranoid of losing him, but my wife did the job with the net and we landed him into the boat. He came in at 40cms! :sun: That's a personal best bream for me, and probably will be for a long time. :banana: I got him on hawkesbury prawn on a 2-4kg setup.

After that the wind started playing havoc with us, so we hauled up anchor and headed back down the river. Stopped just upstream of Bar Point and drifted for a bit more, on what was now a just running in tide. My wife picked up a little bream on the chicken thigh. He went back in, so did the bait, and on the next cast she got a nice 45cm flathead (which i swore i had pictures of :mellow: ) on the same chicken.

I got another legal flathead on the good ol' pumpkin seed squidgee. He went back in to fight another day. After that, kept getting hits on my squidgee but couldn't hook up any more. We finally called it a day, going back home with smiles on our faces, and a nice big hawkesbury river bream and flathead which fed 6 of us for dinner.

post-34194-0-50214500-1411607294_thumb.jpg

post-34194-0-50885900-1411607354_thumb.jpg

post-34194-0-03850300-1411607446_thumb.jpg