Beach fishing around the Northern Beaches

Sydneyfisher12

G'day raiders

This week I was thinking about doing some beach fishing around the northern beaches for whiting, bream, salmon and tailor

I haven't done much beach fishing so I was looking for some tips and pointers

I was thinking about trying manly but it might be to packed in the school holidays so could anybody recommend and good beach that's close to sydney (don't want to travel that far)

Also what bait and rigs so you recommend. I was thinking pillies, prawns, mullet and maybe beach worms.

Any information is great appreciated.

Cheers sydneyfisher12

hi there, i personally dont bother fishing the beach without the help of a burley cage filled with bread and pillies, you will need to secure it with 2 spikes/sticks left and right because i find one works loose and next thing you lost the lot, i would also throw in some chook pellets that have a bit of fish oil on them, start doing that 2 hours before high tide , bait i would use is pillies whole on gangs or fillets on 1/0 hooks secured with bait mate , if you can find a gutter that you can cast to without allot of lead i would use 8 lb line with a 1 ball sinker , let us know if you have any luck.

I usually fish North Narrabeen, on a rising tide, into the night.

I have fished it during the day with light gear, and got bream, flatties and whiting.

Use a 6lb outfit with a small sinker and a small long shank hook.

For tailor and salmonI use a standard beach rod with a large ball sinker, swivel 40cm leader to 4/0 gang with pilchards.

You could leave it in the rod holder while working the light gear.

Live worms are usually available at Narrabeen bait and tackle.

If the beach isn't firing you have the option on the lake with bait or lures

I haven't done too much beach fishing, but i have a mate who has and he gets everything from whiting to salmon on beach worms, went up to narra with him a while back, in a couple of hours, we caught heaps of beach worms, there are a couple of really good videos on youtube on how to catch em, really worth a shot.

Good luck mate,

Tag

Use a light outfit, 9-10 foot rod with 5-6 kilo line and beach worms for bait, travel light and walk the beach between Narrabeen and Collaroy. Always whiting on the beach along there. Any of the beaches are worth a try, but Narr/Collaroy is nice and long.

Matt

Tried catching worms today at manly there really hard to catch might have to get some of those special pliers

Try to find someone to teach you to catch them with your fingers, its a skill worth learning and once learned you'll have for life. Ability to gather your own bait is one of the things that set the 10% apart.

Matt

Edited by macman