A few Pittwater Kings

jordan.widz

G'day raiders,

Went out on Pittwater today to try find a few kings for my dad's birthday.

We started of early morning collecting squid for baits found all of them chilling out in the deeper water today off west head which was surprising as the bottom is mostly sand and not much weed.

We had a good looking live well of squid within an hour and a half so we put the big sucker on the downrigger and trolled another rod with a lightly weighted squid strip.

We were marking solid kings on the sounder but they just weren't interested in out fat juicy calamari, they would even follow the bait right to the surface but not hit it so we decided to do another pass with a smaller squid and that worked a treat and in comes the first one for the day for my dad.

We kept downrigging throughout the day and ended up with 3 kings from 68cm to 78cm. Towards the end of the day we were almost guaranteed a hit every time we marked one up on the sounder but not all stuck due to the size of our squid, the rats would just smash the bait and miss the hooks.

Can't wait till the water warms up now and they become really active, water temp was 18.2 degrees and they are already around, things are looking good for summer!

Cheers, Prawnstar

f4882d0287dfd009874e1805162a17d6.jpg

731c7bf4dc7f0eff9a76a2b8eb6313ec.jpg

6f2fa5922e84278512f5fc22ef7caf36.jpg

891df1f60f654fa11d69b456092043fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch! I was took my kayak out yesterday morning too at first light. I caught some squid at about midnight and trolled them( dead) on poor mans downrigger for literally about ten kms, not a bite! And I had a metal lure shallower too.

Anything I wasn't doing right? The only things I can think of is that the squid were dead and it was before high tide? But I did see a guy get busted off by a kingie which was entertAinment enough for me. I'm dying to catch my first kingie any tips would be great

Nice catch! I was took my kayak out yesterday morning too at first light. I caught some squid at about midnight and trolled them( dead) on poor mans downrigger for literally about ten kms, not a bite! And I had a metal lure shallower too.

Anything I wasn't doing right? The only things I can think of is that the squid were dead and it was before high tide? But I did see a guy get busted off by a kingie which was entertAinment enough for me. I'm dying to catch my first kingie any tips would be great

Hey mate yeh I reckon the live squid worked a treat, they last about an hour or two on the downrigger before they die then we use them as strip baits. And the kings are still pretty timid atm so small squid down deep worked best.

I might give that another go during the week if I get a chance, if that doesn't work might berley up and swim a yakka. What is better you reckon high tide or early morning? Cheers

I don't have much experience with kings in pittwater but my mate who does reckons the tide change is best and that's when we did best on Sunday. Early morning is a good time to catch squid but.

Hey mate congrats on the great catch! Im looking forward to getting onto my first this summer.

A couple of quick questions on sending out the squid on the downrigger, do you use a single hook on the end of the tube or a sliding snell?

Also do you have any problems with the squid spinning in the water?

Regards, John.

Edited by fat_souvlaki

Hey mate congrats on the great catch! Im looking forward to getting onto my first this summer.

A couple of quick questions on sending out the squid on the downrigger, do you use a single hook on the end of the tube or a sliding snell?

Also do you have any problems with the squid spinning in the water?

Regards, John.

Hey mate I use a sliding snell rig with a treble as the stinger. And yeh the big squid will start to spin once they die which is a bit frustrating so I usually cut them up into strip baits after that which still work pretty good.