Peak and 12 mile in a 4.8m boat

Sydneyfisher12

Hi raiders

I'm thinking of venturing out to 12 mile and the peak soon for a jig and was looking at getting people opinions about going that far in a 4.8m boat with a 60 on the back. The longest trip I've been is to the waverider of sydney which is about 11 kilometers out it handled it alright

How many km is the peak from sydney heads and how far is 12 mile for sydney heads ???

Any information is appreciated

Cheers sydneyfisher12

12 mile is about 12miles, 20ks. The peak is

About 10ish ks I believe. If

You have been to the wave rider there's

No reason you can't get to the 12. Pick ya day and you'll be fine. It's a coast runner isn't it? That's basically what those boats are built for.

I've got a mate who heads to browns in a runabout much smaller than a coast runner, pick your day and keep and eye in the weather and there's no reason at all why you can't do it. The biggest issue you have is boat and engine reliability if it is a newish boat and is very reliable then id say get out there and do it.

I would stick to fishing in close with that size boat. Jigging for kingfish is a winter affair and this is the time

for strong westerly winds. These are unpredictable in that they can freshen up without warning. Trying to

head back in in a small, lightweight, shallow V tinnie will be extremly slow, wet and uncomfortable, if not

downright dangerous.Half the time I can't get to the Peak in my 5.4m fiberglass during the winter months.

The 12 mile is about twice as far.

PS: Recall the case of the Chapman brothers years ago who were lost coming back from the Peak in their

5m Quintrex.

It's not really an outside boat, Sydneyfisher and it's a furphy to to suggest picking your day as the weather can turn sour in the blink of an eye. You won't be able to outrun out that far.

Edited by billfisher

It's not really an outside boat, Sydneyfisher and it's a furphy to to suggest picking your day as the weather can turn sour in the blink of an eye. You won't be able to outrun out that far.

Im with Billfisher on this one. Pick your day is a ridiculous idea. If you don't have a boat and the knowledge to deal with adverse conditions which can arise extremely quickly, you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I've seen 4 blokes in a 16ft tinnie at The Peak. Just because they got there and back safely doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Stick to fishing a bit closer where you can get home quickly if need be

Edited by Crossfire63