Cigweld 135

antonywardle

Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.cigweld.com.au/product/diy/weldskill-135-mig-portable-welding-machine/

I bought one so I can have a go at fixing my trailer. Problem is that it won't feed the wire.

The unit is brand new. As far as I can tell, you just thread the wire in and then pull the trigger

and it should auto feed, but it doesn't.

I took at back and got it replaced with a second one, and it doesn't auto feed either.

Did I get two lemons or is there a trick I don't know about?

the cigweld website is truly terrible

When you feed the mig wire through the roller and into the main hose and when you press the trigger on the handle are your rollers moving , You could have wires loose from your main hose to the rollers, If your trigger is not working or operating the rollers then there's a problem there , Also turn your gas on and press your trigger to see if your gas is coming out you nozzle. This might show that the gas is coming out but the wire in not, Just my opinion I would never use gasless/flux covered wire, Best to use gas.

HI

I don't have any gas yet and no the rollers aren't working

when i pull the trigger. The research i've done suggests that

the triggers are a bit rubbish.Even so, two dead from two seems to be a bit poor.

whats the reasoning behind that gas shielding?

cheers

I bought a Mig welder years ago and it was duel gas/gasless, I used the gasless wire it turned out s--t, It was like welding with gas but you forget to turn on the gas on it looked like bird s--t, porosity .I personally think its a gimmick , The thing is people who buy mig welders forget about the cost of getting a hiring bottle , 'CORGON, ARGON , MIG GASSES' , But the gas on the welder /shielding gives a better weld than gasless. Also don't go pulling apart the welder thinking you might fix it just take it back get them to look at it. You can do the basics but that's it and when you go make shore it works in front of them or ask for your money back.

I bought a Mig welder years ago and it was duel gas/gasless, I used the gasless wire it turned out s--t, It was like welding with gas but you forget to turn on the gas on it looked like bird s--t, porosity .I personally think its a gimmick , The thing is people who buy mig welders forget about the cost of getting a hiring bottle , 'CORGON, ARGON , MIG GASSES' , But the gas on the welder /shielding gives a better weld than gasless. Also don't go pulling apart the welder thinking you might fix it just take it back get them to look at it. You can do the basics but that's it and when you go make shore it works in front of them or ask for your money back.

Totally agree, I think for the occasional diy welder you can't go past the humble arc welder.

No bottles to hire,wire to buy, more compact, cheaper to buy, weld in the wind.

There comes a time where you run into a weld that you simply cannot fit a mig nozzle in close enough but is no problem with a stick once you bend the rod to suit.

Here's a example where you cannot fit the mig nozzle.utaqarub.jpg

With practice and the correct rods and amperage you can weld just about anything that the diy would ever want/need to weld.

Once set up all you will need to purchase is rods for different kinds of materials/welds.

Mig is supperior when it comes to light gauge sheet metals,as it's very easy to blow holes right through your project if your not up to scratch. Anything else including boat trailers I grab my stick.

The gas shielding is there to stop impurities from the atmosphere(air) entering the weld while it's molten causing impurities(weakness) in the weld.

It makes for a neater stronger weld.

As others said take it back to the store where you bought it and get them to show you there how it works.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

Edited by Fab1

Guest Aussie007

AW once u install the roll of wire and feed it thru the rollers into the liner when u hit the trigger it'll feed the wire up to the tip than stop u need to remove the tip hit the trigger again to feed the wire past the tip than reinstall it, snip the wire to around 5mm replace the gas cover nozel and away u go mate

the CIG welder is a beauty for home jobs i once welded 1/4th a car together with a CIG MIG using gasless

keep in mind when u tension the drive roller only do it up untill the wire grabs and feeds if u over tighten it you'll prematurely wear out the tensioner

Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.cigweld.com.au/product/diy/weldskill-135-mig-portable-welding-machine/

I bought one so I can have a go at fixing my trailer. Problem is that it won't feed the wire.

The unit is brand new. As far as I can tell, you just thread the wire in and then pull the trigger

and it should auto feed, but it doesn't.

I took at back and got it replaced with a second one, and it doesn't auto feed either.

Did I get two lemons or is there a trick I don't know about?

the cigweld website is truly terrible

Hi mate. You sound new to welding. Did you read over the manual and the set up instructions? I would start there.

Just on welding in general, I agree with Fab. Each method has their ups and downs but for general DIY work, Arc/stick all the way.

Guest Aussie007

i found stick welding the hardest to do but many say start at stick and progress, i found TIG welding steel a piece of cake, aluminium TIG welding was a little difficult but i could run nice beads

i go TIG, MIG than ARC, im totally hopeless at arc :devil:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...