Balmoral wharf - pleasant afternoon

SgtBundy

I have this week off so I was pretty dismayed by the 30kt forecast for today. As the afternoon was supposed to settle down I headed out intending to go for jewfish on the evening high tide. I wanted to get some live bait so I was going to try for squid at balmoral wharf. I flicked around for while with no touches, but another guy was pulling in plenty of yakkas so I changed to chasing them.

He was a very friendly French guy and had happened to live for a while up the far north coast too, so we had a good chat while he gave me tips on catching yakkas. We had a heap in short order (mostly ones he caught and gave me) so coming up to dark I put them out under floats hoping for a kingy. One of the yakkas I caught got chased in by I think a salmon, and some were spotted up around the beach so there was some activity around. Other guys were getting small trevally, pinkies, small flathead, leatherjacket and even a baby stingray but nothing solid.

By that time I figured going to narrabeen was a waste so I settled in to use the yakkas for live bait and cutting up the dead ones to send out unweighted. I got plenty of hits on the chunks with some small pinkies, and later into the night some tailor were about too but didn't get a hookup. One of the live yakkas got taken I guess by tailor as the head and tail were clean chomped off. That was about as much action as they saw.

Called it a night after 9.

It's great you can rock up at a place, strike up a conversation with a another fisho and just have a mate for that session. Had a number of chats with several passers by and other fishos. At some point I even ended up with a beer in my hand. Just one of those nice sessions despite the weather and limited action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sarge

If its the same bloke, he fishes with hand lines off the front.

He's a resident, good guy, very enthusiastic.

He got stung by the flathead I got on the June long weekend.

It's great to meet guys that share the passion. Thanks for sharing.

And I hope you "Break a leg",

Andrew

Hi Sarge

If its the same bloke, he fishes with hand lines off the front.

He's a resident, good guy, very enthusiastic.

He got stung by the flathead I got on the June long weekend.

It's great to meet guys that share the passion. Thanks for sharing.

And I hope you "Break a leg",

Andrew

i know the same guy he's down there every weekend he always lets others use his gear and bait

Yup, Joseph. Much respect to a guy who uses only hand lines especially with how much it has damaged his hands. I wanted to give him some gear because he was desperate not to lose his yakka hook but I had none of the size he wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk