Early season Kings

Slink

Took a good mate out last week aiming to get our first kings for the season , managed to get a few squid then we hit our usual piece of reef and deployed our live squidlies , within about 10 minutes my mate grunts that he is on. I wound in and readied the gaff. He got a 10.55 kg off the bat , nice now he can relax. He waited about 30 mons , had a beer and gave me a chance to hook up. No good , I said to him to drop another squid , saying I bet you hook up straight away. Yep he did too , another about the same size. I was now getting anxious having seeing him land 2 good fish and me gaffing them too.

Well it took about another 20 mins till I had a sudden bend in the rod and I was on , got him in the esky at about 9 kg.

We had a crack for a bit longer before deciding to call it quits having enough fish and headed back to the ramp to clean up.

Great arvo session , good to get one early and now ready to upsize. Looking for the 18 kg plus now.

post-15959-0-89178500-1414823684_thumb.jpg

post-15959-0-03797900-1414823710_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slink

Amazing fish! Were you out from Sydney way? Would love some advice on the squid - did you keep them whole and down rig them live or would you recommend squid slabs? Congrats again, they look like a lot of fun!

G'day Meg126 ,

Yeah these are Northern beaches fish , with the squid I find that the bigger the better , whole and live. I don't have a downrigger and not sure if you really need one.

If you know where to look for kings then just sit at anchor with the baits at the right depth and the kings will find them 100%. Fish with a 2 hook rig and with your drag locked almost pliers tight , not kidding.

All the best.

Nice work mate! Feel free to drop me a PM if you don't mind sharing some pointers for Pittwater/northern beaches.. My boat is out of action at the moment which is killing me but hopefully I'll be out in a couple of weeks!

Went out today, was very keen to try your suggestions....BUT... couldn't get a damn squid to save myself! So annoying when you have a plan and can't get the basics right.

Saw a lot of big fishing crashing the surface in Pittwater today and even managed a number of garfish but just couldn't work out how to 'tow' them without killing them. I've heard garfish are great bait (and were a lot easier to catch than yakkas today).

G'day Meg126 ,

Yeah these are Northern beaches fish , with the squid I find that the bigger the better , whole and live. I don't have a downrigger and not sure if you really need one.

If you know where to look for kings then just sit at anchor with the baits at the right depth and the kings will find them 100%. Fish with a 2 hook rig and with your drag locked almost pliers tight , not kidding.

All the best.

Nice Kings and simple sound advice.