Post Storm Monster Devestation

FishingGuy

Hey Raiders,

Yesterday me and my dad decided to hit Wisemans Ferry, aware of the brewing storm ahead. After going to 5 different shops to find some Aerogaurd we were finally on our way. Driving up the Old Northern Road, RFS had closed it at several sections due to fallen trees. After eventually getting to Wisemans Ferry, we came across another problem, there were wires down on Singleton road. After navigating around them and 4 million trees later we arrived at our spot. 30 mins later and no bites the second big storm came through. We packed up and headed to Wisemans Beach.

By now it was already 6:00PM and not much light left. Through in the rods and not long after noticed one of the rods being touched. I picked it up and stuck it but I was to late. As night came I started looking for prawns and out of the wind make out a zzzzzzz noise. I look up and my rod is bending like crazy. I ran and started winding and this thing had some decent wait. After 20 minutes of fighting I bring the beast to shore. My mouth dropped, "a stingray, a $*& stingray!!". :ranting2: You can imagine my disapointment when I was already thinking Jewie for dinner.

After that I manged to net a live prawn so I gave it to my dad who put it on his cheapo Kmart rod with a ten year old Shimano reel. 5 minutes of the prawn in the water and he feels a small touch in the line. HE pulls the line and bang ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ its off. I told my dad just to wind the reel like never before, I mean lets be reasonable, there was no way this thing was going to be landed using that crappy rod. As expected the the line snapped 10 seconds later and we were left devastated and wondering what this monster could have been. Any Ideas??

At least I managed this picture of the storm approaching.

post-33871-0-65865400-1414894660_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

FishingGuy

Bad luck fishingguy my guess the fish may have been a bream or estuary perch that took the live prawn that far up river.

Mate wouldn't say it was a bream, this thing was pulling like the hook had been caught on a boat going full speed, but you never know.

Cheers,

FishingGuy

Bumma about the lost fish and my call would be a jewfish. Never let a cheap, crappy or damaged outfit stop you from landing a top fish. I got smashed up by a kingy last week and I could feel him running my line along the bricks. Free spooled for a few seconds and backed the drag right off and 15 mins later landed an 80 cm fish. The 8 kg braid and 10 kg leader looked like an old bit of hemp all frayed and chewed up and broke when I pulled on it. Was lucky on this occasion as have been busted off plenty of other times.

Fish was released to fight another day.

Capt Ahab