Knots and jigheads

fishywang34

I get a bit lazy sometimes and just tie a locked blood knot which I can do without my glasses but this video explained how to tie a lefty's loop

which allows the lure to run free on the end of the line.

I use this when I am feeling keen but I am not that convinced that the loop makes a difference to the action of the lure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzuuw-hRaI

Uni Knot for jig heads - very rarely tie small hardbodies with a loop knot these days 3 or 4 lb leader is not going to effect lure action and dont think it matters to much with larger lures either. But you asked about jig heads and thats a uni knot every time.

Cheers

Blood Knot

I use a uni knot on a light snap - lets me switch rigs and lures easily and saves wasting time fiddling with knots. I don't think it affects the action if anything it acts like a loop knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea for light tackle, anything over 20lb i reccomend tying to the jig head!

I use a uni or loop knot. But when I'm yakking and/or in a situation where I change lures many times, I use a spiral decoy. It's like a snap swivel but with no moving parts and acts as a loop knot. I will only use this when flicking for bass, bream, flatty etc.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I use a uni or loop knot. But when I'm yakking and/or in a situation where I change lures many times, I use a spiral decoy. It's like a snap swivel but with no moving parts and acts as a loop knot. I will only use this when flicking for bass, bream, flatty etc.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie, this is new info for me.

This looks like it might avoid the increased lure tangles you can get with snap swivels withe repeated casting.

Cheers

Jim

I took the time to test different knots under a load tester and found the Uni knot failed at about 85% breaking strain with mono and 60% with fluro carbon (yes I lubed the knot). the strongest knots I found was the reverse clinch and the Palomar with both fluro and mono. Check out a show on youtube called Knot wars it will answer all your questions.

Cheers