Harbour LB 5/11/14

Krispy !

Early this morning around 330 I hadnt slept yet but had that itch to go fishing, so in a decision between sleep and fishing was easy. I had no bait so settled to start off with bread and catch some yakkas. Got about 15-20 before sunrise and so far the plan was going well. At about 7am I lost a king on a live yakka due to the circle hook not finding its place which really pissed me off. I didnt strike at all and just slowly winded up till I was tight yet when it came up to the surface the hook popped out along with the yakka it took, and it looked legal which added insult to injury. Later on that morning a school of white bait was boiling on the surface so I flicked out an unweighted strip of yellowtail right between them. As it sank below them line suddenly began pouring off my reel, closed the bail and bzzzzzzzzzz. This fish headed straight for the pylons beneath so I had to lock up and wrestle it up. First I thought small king, then as I started seeing colour I thought wow this is a real decent trev!! Then when it popped up I yelled out Samsonfish!! My first landbased samson was propmtly netted and measured at 47cm. A nice consolation for losing that king earlier. Wind picked up and it began to rain not long after so I packed it up soon after.

post-11865-0-34207400-1415176628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krispy !

Bad luck on that king mate ! That's a nice size Samson, are they any good eating ? I've read somewhere before that they shouldn't be eaten raw (don't know if people usually eat them that way anyway).

Thanks mate, I was about to cut it up for sashimi so thanks for letting me know, do you know why the cant be eaten sashimi?

I cought a samsonfish some time ago and did some google research on best eating methods and found this in a forum...... I can't say for sure but just to be safe you might wana do some more research?

""""Samson fish are prone to having a perasite in their flesh (kidoa). this perasite is not something you can see when filleting. (not this particular perasite anyways. which is reasponsible for the bad taste/texture)

some fish have the perasite and some dont. from my expierience fish under 10 kg have a 50/50(+ or -) chance of having it and as the fish get bigger,it is more likly to have it. i would say that fish over 20kg are highly likly to have this perasite.

the perasite makes the flesh of the fish go mushy texture.. once cooked (the enzymes released by the paracite brake down the protein i.e. flesh). only after cooking the fish can you conclude it has it..often ppl would say that its bad eating and in the particular case of a fish with a perasite i tend to agree.""""""

I cought a samsonfish some time ago and did some google research on best eating methods and found this in a forum...... I can't say for sure but just to be safe you might wana do some more research?

""""Samson fish are prone to having a perasite in their flesh (kidoa). this perasite is not something you can see when filleting. (not this particular perasite anyways. which is reasponsible for the bad taste/texture)

some fish have the perasite and some dont. from my expierience fish under 10 kg have a 50/50(+ or -) chance of having it and as the fish get bigger,it is more likly to have it. i would say that fish over 20kg are highly likly to have this perasite.

the perasite makes the flesh of the fish go mushy texture.. once cooked (the enzymes released by the paracite brake down the protein i.e. flesh). only after cooking the fish can you conclude it has it..often ppl would say that its bad eating and in the particular case of a fish with a perasite i tend to agree.""""""

I think with the size of this samson it would be unlikely to have a parasite. Will cut it up and let you know

North coast kings can also have this parasite.....

Update guys the sashimi was awesome, on par with kingfish.[/quote

From what i understand kings with this are also good sashimi. For sydney guys any big kings over a metre early in season may be from up north. Freeze them labelled in batches so that if a fish is infected you can use as burley..