The Stonker that got away

Luderick Hunter

Hey guys. Early morning Luddie session at tuross today. Up at 4.15 to load the boat to hit the road at 5.15. Got to moruya for breakfast and NO sausage rolls!!!!! Not a good start.

So empty stomach we pushed on for tuross, made burley and were fishing by 7ish. Run out tide was nearly finished but we picked up 3 smaller fish in the low 30s before the change.

As soon as the tide changed the downs started to come and the bigger boys had come out to play.

We started to get fish above 40cm. I got a nice fat 44cm followed by my brother getting a 47cm. Then I hooked a beast. As soon as I hooked it I knew it was a big fish with the common brick wall hook set and constant heavy deep weight, I played him slowly for a long time trying not to drop him, halfway through the fight my Brother hooks up another mid 40s fish and we end lines crossed, we get them apart and he quickly gets his fish in the boat followed by a trip over the burley bucket and lots of swearing and carry on. I finally get this fish to the surface and its a monster with a huge tail. He keeps going on runs for a few minutes until he floats to the surface on his side ready for the net. I reach for the net and he has one last gasp run and spits the hook!!!! The language and tantrum breaks out across the tranquil lake I had just dropped my dream 50cm fish. We packed up about 12 with 14 fish and the knowledge that the 50cm luddie lives in them waters.

To be continued tomorrow.

John.