Soldiers Pt

jordy

Just spent a week in soldiers point and really can't speak highly enough of the area great location,scenery,wildlife and there are some great fish about.My teenage son stuck mainly to bait and left me behind early with keeper bream and flatties.I have amassed a heap of lures in the last two years and have sworn of bait for life,I wanted to really crack the soft plastic code and flatties were the target.3rd day in whilst wading the flats solo with my new shimano rig and an eco-gear grass minnow I landed a nice fish in the high forties(measured against rod) only issue was racing back for the camera would jeopardise a healthy release put the fish first and away he swam.Found out later the missus had been watching from the veranda and zoomed for a shot of the release and fluffed it.Was impressed with fight of the flatty on the flats on light gear and my confidence with plastics grew after that had more luck on smaller fish after that.Two days later wading the flats solo with just a rod and lure would come back to haunt me in a way I wasn't ready for.From our veranda spotted a bit of surface activity a fair way out and thought maybe a big surface lure might get me somewhere close.Tied on a river2sea rover128 raced out and started working it.10 minutes in when I'm thinking of going back for a lure change bang I'm on and this fish went hard.Got it into the shallows and got a look at the biggest whiting you could imagine,with the adrenalin going mad I led it to shore and using the rod indicator took in around 45cm of awesome Aussie sportfish.He swam away strongly,I really need to sort out some photography for this form of fishing but the basic nature of it is really exciting just yourself up to your waist in pristine water stalking great fish I'll never forget that whiting.Was a great trip the local fishos were friendly and keen for a chat,the dolphins entertaining daily especially the two that launched up the beach virtually at the feet of my too young fellas.Thanks to fish raider scratchie for the high tide heads up it made a big difference.Already planning a return foray.

Edited by roostersone

Great read mate and I'm glad you got amongst a few. A 45cm whiting is a cracking fish. As the weather warms up, I target those same areas early morning with surface poppers. Good fun catching whiting on poppers.

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great read mate and I'm glad you got amongst a few. A 45cm whiting is a cracking fish. As the weather warms up, I target those same areas early morning with surface poppers. Good fun catching whiting on poppers.

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Scratchie,

I have not had a lot of success with whiting on poppers at least on the sand flats in port hacking although I got a few in the harbour last year west of the bridge... do you think the poppers work better when the visibility is not so good? The hacking is so clean I am not sure if the is is a disadvantage.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Scratchie,

I have not had a lot of success with whiting on poppers at least on the sand flats in port hacking although I got a few in the harbour last year west of the bridge... do you think the poppers work better when the visibility is not so good? The hacking is so clean I am not sure if the is is a disadvantage.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Jim

Hey Jim,

Most of the time when I've chased them on poppers, the visibility has been very good. A little movement of water helps as well, such as the tide moving in or out.

Wow roosterone, 128mm is a huge popper to catch a whiting (it was a huge fish) but I use 38-45mm with a feathered tail. (River2sea)

No real secrets, just a matter of keep casting!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Love Soldiers Point... casting at those Tailor from the Garden and playing with some solid Flatties. The Mrs wants to move there she loved it so much!